Tasty fall flavored treats from local Austin bakeries

Sage Dunlap and Reya Mosby

In preparation for vibrant orange, red and yellow leaves to begin peppering through the trees and temperatures to drop across the country for this upcoming fall, local Austin restaurants are finally sprinkling seasonal signatures like pumpkin, cinnamon and caramel flavors throughout their menus. For Austinites eagerly awaiting seasonal fall menus, The Daily Texan compiled a list of fall treats from local Austin bakeries to munch on during “Gilmore Girls” marathons and horror movie binges.

Caramel apple cupcake from Sugar Mama’s Bakeshop

Local bakery and “Cupcake Wars” champion Sugar Mama’s Bakeshop brings autumn flavors to their award-winning cupcake collection. The shop’s Caramel Apple cupcake presents a spiced apple cake smothered in buttercream frosting and salted caramel topping, resulting in a sweet and savory concoction resembling the beloved Halloween treat. Other fall favorites from the shop’s cupcake cabinet include The Notorious F.I.G.  — a goat cheese and honey cake topped with cream cheese frosting, caramel figs and toasted pistachios — as well as their house carrot cupcake called the 24 Carrot Magic.

Voodoo matcha from Jo’s Coffee

South Congress favorite Jo’s Coffee takes a fall twist on a traditionally summer treat. The Voodoo Matcha, flavored with banana and coconut, brings a candy-like sweetness to a refreshing matcha latte. Customers can substitute dairy with almond or oat milk for a more nutty flavor reminiscent of a Mounds candy bar. Though a slightly offbeat fall beverage, this matcha recipe offers a nice alternative for anyone looking for a break from the traditional pumpkin spice or cinnamon latte.

Spinach mushroom thyme quiche from Quack’s 43rd Street Bakery

For those looking for a savory autumn treat, Quack’s Bakery serves a delicious mix of sweet and salty September specials, including a selection of quiches. The bakery’s spinach mushroom thyme quiche brings a taste of Thanksgiving comfort food. Homemade flaky pie crust makes the cheesy egg delicacy a perfect snack for any time of day — especially when accompanied with a honey lavender mocha from the bakery’s monthly specials menu.

Maple donut and hot apple cider from Gourdough’s

Setting up shop in a vintage airstream stands Gourdough’s — one of Austin’s best spots for late-night dessert adventures. The Flying Pig, despite being served year-round, makes for an autumn staple on the shop’s menu. Topped with homemade maple icing and grilled bacon, the specialty donut perfects a classic sweet and salty formula. The dessert is best washed down with a warm seasonal drink such as a hot apple cider, a satisfying fragrant drink that promises to keep customers warm and full on chilly fall nights.