Flo Rida makes waves at free concert following UT-Alabama game

Grace Hare, Life & Arts Reporter

Flo Rida looked out to waves of people awaiting the loud performance ahead. Wearing a UT jersey with his name on it, his voice was clear and confident as he called out, “Shawty had them Apple Bottom jeans!” 

On Saturday, students and Longhorn fans alike sporting burnt orange left DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium after Texas’ narrow loss to Alabama, heading eagerly to a free performance from music mogul Flo Rida. After spending all day in preparation and attendance for the famous rivalry game, the promise of watching a live Flo Rida performance at LBJ Lawn lured fans further into the celebration. Following a high-stakes game, the concert provided a chance for attendees to blow off steam and enjoy some nostalgic tunes with friends.

The hill of the concert venue sloped towards the stage where DJ Mel was warming up the fans, Longhorns and Crimson Tide alike. Packed shoulder to shoulder, fans swarmed up the hill before the main event even began. When Flo Rida took the stage, thunderous applause from the energized crowd radiated from the lawn. The rapper brought enthusiasm and a family-friendly atmosphere to his set, engaging the audience in conversations — occasionally even midsong. 

Flo Rida’s efforts to converse with the crowd made for an untraditional yet comforting concert experience, giving fans an opportunity to ease into mosh pits and dance as energy picked up throughout the set. Fans below the performer’s feet took the opportunity to take photos, dance with friends and shout lyrics in an attempt to capture his attention, all contributing to a vibrant atmosphere. 

Finally, the long-awaited moment arrived. Flo Rida invited the ladies to join him on stage. Roses in hand, he tossed flowers to the fans and began the chorus of one of his most popular songs — “Low.” The fan favorite resulted in the afternoon’s peak performance, with many audience members singing the song’s chorus word for word. Other exciting acts followed the climactic performance, continuing the night with more interactive and thrilling moments for audience members. Despite the persisting heat and exhaustion, ending an exhilarating game day with live music from a beloved hip-hop star made the performance a memorable and treasured event. 

From on-stage dancing during “Where Them Girls At” to crowdwide singalongs, the performance suited bold Texas pride, even in the face of rivalries and losses. Despite Longhorns’ feelings of disappointment following the highly anticipated game, Flo Rida lifted spirits and brought fans of both teams together for one joyous performance of beloved 2010s classics.