UT professors present ‘Black Austin Matters’ podcast at University Lecture Series

Connor Downs/The Daily Texan

Corinne Piorkowski, News Reporter

The University Lecture Series returned on Sept. 12 with a discussion led by contributors to the Black Austin Matters podcast, a radio segment that interviews Black Austinites on their experiences of being Black in Austin.

African and African Diaspora studies professor Lisa Thompson and Richard Reddick, undergraduate studies dean and senior vice provost for curriculum and instruction, the founders of the podcast, started developing the radio segment in 2020. The goal of the podcast was to interview Black Austinites, creating a platform to share their personal stories and educate the Austin community on their experiences. Reddick said he and Thompson initially connected through social media, and the process of beginning their journey to create the podcast was exciting.

If there’s any advice to be given, it’s that if you have an idea, to pursue it.

— Richard Reddick

“To get that whole process in place took a little bit of time, and I’m really glad it did because what we ended up doing is having these incredible experiences,” Reddick said.

Thompson and Reddick said they believe hosting the podcast will allow for a different perspective from their day job as professors as they interview Black Austinites and get a more hands-on experience interacting with their subjects.

“We’re professors by day, so there’s a lot of articles we write,” Thompson said. “This is a whole different vibe where you get to hang out with people that come from all walks of life.”

Roughly 200 freshman students attended the lecture as part of their undergraduate studies courses for advice on navigating their first year at UT. Freshman biology major Isa Murphy said she believes that even those who don’t personally resonate with the podcast can learn from this lecture series. 

“I think (the lectures) are really good to relate to our first-year experience,” Murphy said. “Even if you didn’t feel like relating to the podcast or the topic, they found a way to relate it back to everyday advice that all freshmen could use.”

Thompson said the podcast taught the team about collaboration with others, which she believes first-year students strive for.

“I can feel safe and understood … there’s trust there and mutual respect,” Thompson said. “Definitely trust yourselves when you’re making these kinds of connections and collaborations.”

Reddick said the podcast has given the team the resources they need to spread awareness and entertain the Austin community on some of its most trailblazing Black residents.

“If there’s any advice to be given, it’s that if you have an idea, to pursue it,” Reddick said.