Opponents to Watch

Matthew Caldwell, Sports Desk Editor

Texas will have its third consecutive home game this Saturday, facing off against UTSA. This will be the first time the two teams have faced each other, and it couldn’t come at a better time for the Roadrunners.

UTSA is coming off of its best season, finishing 12-2 after losing to No. 25 San Diego State in the Miami Beach Bowl.

The Roadrunners are returning a couple of players who will have a big role in Austin this Saturday:

Frank Harris, Quarterback

Redshirt senior quarterback Frank Harris is arguably UTSA’s best player. With 31 games played in his college career, Harris’ experience will pay dividends for the Roadrunners. He threw for 27 touchdowns last season, while also running in six.

Harris is a versatile player who isn’t afraid to burn defenses with his legs when need be.

Joshua Cephus, Wide Receiver

Senior wide receiver Joshua Cephus has been an integral part of the Roadrunners’ offense for a long time. He has improved year after year and is currently on track to break his receptions record of 71 from last season.

In UTSA’s overtime loss to Houston a few weeks ago, Cephus reeled in seven catches for 106 yards, including one touchdown. He then followed up that performance with another masterpiece against Army, which also went into overtime, but this time ending in a win.

Cephus didn’t reach the end zone this past weekend but hauled in 10 catches for 112 yards.

Zakhari Franklin, Wide Receiver

This UTSA team relies heavily on their experienced players, and senior wide receiver Zakhari Franklin is no exception to that. Ever since landing in San Antonio in 2019, Franklin has been a monster at the receiver position. In his freshman campaign, he caught 38 balls for 491 yards in only nine games.

Just like Cephus, Franklin improves every year. Last season, he earned a First-Team All-Conference USA selection after breaking UTSA’s single-season receptions record with 81. He also broke the school’s receiving yards, receiving yards per game and receiving touchdowns records.

Franklin is on pace to break his own record of 81 receptions. The senior out of Cedar Hill, Texas already has 20 receptions through just two games, averaging 111 receiving yards per game.

The one-two punch of Cephus and Franklin is a scary thought for any defense in the country.

Rashad Wisdom, Safety

Senior safety Rashad Wisdom is the foundation of the Roadrunners’ defense. Earning All-Conference USA First-Team honors the past two seasons, Wisdom has the experience and consistency necessary to play one of the tougher positions on the field.

In his sophomore and junior years, Wisdom led the team in total tackles with 95 and 88.

Although he hasn’t had an interception since 2020, Wisdom impacts the game in so many other ways, mainly with his ability to fill the gaps and make game-impacting tackles.