Longhorns in the NFL

Matthew Caldwell, Sports Desk Editor

Devin Duvernay

After a two-touchdown performance in Week 1, Devin Duvernay picked right back up where he left off. The Miami Dolphins won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half, with kicker Jason Sanders sending the ball into the hands of the 2021 All-Pro punt returner. Duvernay immediately made the Dolphins pay for giving him the chance to return as he took it 103 yards to the house, giving the Ravens an early 7-0 lead. Although the former Texas star wide receiver didn’t have the same impact in the passing game, he did haul in two catches for 42 yards.

Quandre Diggs

The Seahawks were coming off of a huge win against the Denver Broncos and former Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson. The momentum didn’t carry over for the Seahawks against NFC West rival, the San Francisco 49ers. Safety Quandre Diggs is now the leader of the Seattle secondary after Jamal Adams had a season-ending injury in Week 1, and he proved himself  this past Sunday. The former Longhorn finished the game with six total tackles, but most impressively, helped diminish the 49ers’ passing attack. San Francisco possesses one of the most electric wide receivers in the league, Deebo Samuel. 49ers quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo went 13 for 21 for only 154 yards. Diggs will continue to lead the secondary in Adams’ absence, and if this week’s performance is any indication of how he will do, Seahawks fans can rest easy.

Caden Sterns

Diggs wasn’t the only former Texas safety to help lead a team’s secondary. In his first season as one of the starting safeties for the Denver Broncos, Caden Sterns has looked the part. After an upset loss to the Seattle Seahawks, the Broncos needed to win against the Houston Texans. Sterns played a big role on Sunday, leading the team in total tackles with six. He was also able to help shut down Houston’s offense. Texans quarterback Davis Mills went 19 for 38 for 177 yards and zero touchdowns.

Brenden Schooler

After former Texas safety Brendan Schooler graduated, he fought his way onto the New England Patriots roster. Although he hasn’t spent much time at his new position, Schooler found other ways to make an impact. Playing with the punt team, Schooler recovered a muffed punt late in the third quarter to give New England the field position that would eventually lead to a touchdown a couple of plays later. This would prove to be huge for the Patriots, as they wound up beating the Pittsburgh Steelers by just three points, 17-14. Heads-up plays like that could earn Schooler more playing time.