No. 12 men’s tennis take home 18 wins from Commodore Invitational

Tyler Winter, Sports reporter

No. 12 Texas men’s tennis took on the Commodore Invitational this past weekend in Nashville, TN. The Longhorns finished the weekend with 18 wins across 22 matches, including a title in doubles and singles.

Senior Nevin Arimilli, junior Evin McDonald, junior Eshan Talluri and junior Siem Woldeab made the trip to Nashville for the event, and three of the four returned with titles.

Woldeab put in a good show during the Flight A singles tournament, making it to the finals but losing 3-6, 6-3, 6-1. Although he fell short within the singles bracket, he and Talluri took home a title in the Green Draw doubles tournament. Woldeab’s only loss from the invitational was his singles loss in the Flight A East finals.

McDonald and Talluri won their respective brackets within the Flight C singles tournament and McDonald ultimately placed first with his wins in the East bracket. McDonald won the final match with a 6-2, 6-3 sweep. Although they did not win the red draw tournament, McDonald and Arimilli won their final match 6-4. McDonald finished the weekend with undefeated singles matches and one loss in a doubles match.

After a decent showing last weekend in Georgia, the Longhorns showed up big at Vanderbilt. With several ITA and USTA tournaments coming up, the Longhorns will hope to keep the momentum going as the season continues to get underway.