Coffee lovers get ready to explore shops across Austin

Drew Morris, Life & Arts Reporter

Carolyn and Mike McIntosh share a love for coffee. When the pair started dating, they lived 40 minutes away and often found meeting spots at coffee shops. 

Later, when the pair moved to Austin, they navigated the new city through coffee shops, embarking on what they deemed a “coffee crawl.” The pair then realized more coffee lovers in the city might want to take part in their caffeine-filled excursion.

After reaching out to dozens of shops within the greater Austin area, the duo garnered 22 shops all ready and eager to participate in the first ever ATX Coffee Crawl. The event will begin on International Coffee Day, Oct. 1, and run through Dec. 31. Tickets cost $25, with proceeds going toward Arc of the Capital Area, a charity empowering Central Texans with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families. 

Tickets, which will include a map and passport for each coffee shop, can be picked up at select coffee shops each weekend, with the last pop-up taking place Oct. 8. Participants who fill the passport on their ticket will receive a mug and be entered in raffles for more prizes.

Bennu Coffee co-owner Stephanie Williams said she was happy to jump on board when receiving news of the crawl.

“We found over the years people choose coffee shops (based) on proximity,” Williams said. “This is an opportunity to expose people to your brand who aren’t in your neighborhood.” 

Williams said coffee shops also hold a special place in her heart because of what they mean to coffee lovers, especially those who crave a cozy, comforting space.

“My husband and I met in a coffee shop, so coffee shops are super special to us,” Williams said. “We spent our young adulthood in coffee shops, so the fact that we are now able to give that experience to other people, just knowing how pivotal it was in our young adulthood, is super special.”

News of ATX Coffee Crawl generated buzz among caffeine-fixated Austinites. Austin resident Jessica Santiago said she feels most excited to experience new spaces on the crawl and soak in the familiar, homey atmosphere that coffee shops offer. 

“Ambiance is a really big deal for me,” Santiago said. “I’m excited to see what all these cafes have to offer not only with coffee, but I love to look at what they’re selling, their decor … (and) the smell when they’re grinding beans.” 

In addition to exploring the city and trying great coffee, the coffee crawl provides pass holders with the chance to try exclusive drinks. 

“Everybody who works there says there is a ghost or several ghosts of Highland Mall who haunt that location,” Williams said. “There’ll be different mysterious things that happen, so the special at the Highland location is the ghosts: a lavender white chocolate mocha.”

Looking forward, the couple said they hope to expand the coffee crawl, making it an annual event that includes more coffee shops each year.

“(We want to) continue to bring people to the different coffee shops around Austin,” Carolyn said. “Something that we’re hoping is that this (is) beneficial for the coffee shops that took a chance on two people who were starting this from the ground up.”