Ja’Tavion Sanders emerges as a critical player for Texas’ offense

Jordan Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor

Sophomore tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders is much more than Texas’ security blanket, emerging as the Longhorns’ most prolific tight end since David Thomas, who played an integral role on the 2005 National Championship team.

Against West Virginia, Sanders caught two touchdown passes for 46 yards, the most scores by a tight end since 2011. Both receptions were automatic highlight reels, one resulting from a trick play and the other an acrobatic grab in the end zone.

On the opposition’s 33-yard line, sophomore quarterback Hudson Card tossed a screen pass to Worthy along the Longhorns sideline as Sanders blew through the Mountaineer defense. Worthy then launched the football, hitting Sanders a few yards shy of the goal line. With open space, Sanders pranced four yards into the end zone.

“Oh yeah, I already knew it was gonna be a touchdown,” Sanders told the San Antonio Express-News. “I was sitting there laughing. As soon as that safety flew down, it was a touchdown.”

This time last year, Sanders hadn’t seen a minute of play time at tight end. Despite being a five star two-way wide receiver out of Ryan High School, he wasn’t ready to start after switching to tight end during summer training. Midway through this season, Sanders was named the John Mackey Tight End of the Week last week. He also leads the Big 12 in tight end receiving yards.

“JT put in a lot of work last year with Coach (Jeff) Banks,” Sarkisian said. “We asked him to do things that were different than maybe what he had done before. He had the skill set to do it, but we really wanted to dive into him that way to become a complete tight end and not just be a one-dimensional pass receiver. And he’s done it.”

Sanders is a dynamic receiver. While he can line up tacked alongside the offensive line like a typical tight end, Sanders can also take snaps from the slot or at wideout. A prime candidate for checkdowns and screen passes, he was projected to be redshirt freshman starting quarterback Quinn Ewers’ security blanket. 

While Sanders has certainly been a safety net for Card, much of his prowess goes unsung in the box score. A physical blocker, Sanders is often directly involved in protecting Robinson during his rush attempts and redshirt junior Jordan Whittington when receiving screens and wheel routes from the slot. 

Whittington said that Sanders is not just a great blocker or receiver, but a team driven player who gives his all at practice. 

“He works really hard. And when you work that hard on the practice field, it has to happen,” Whittington said at Monday’s media availability. “Y’all saw that Saturday, but that’s every day. He does that every day.”

Sarkisian also raved about Sanders’ work ethic and leadership on Monday, claiming that he is a guy that isn’t afraid to speak up or do things that make him uncomfortable — uncommon characteristics for a true sophomore. However, Sanders said that he’s been here all along, and has just been waiting for his opportunity to prove it. 

“I’m just trying to show everybody what type of player I am, what type of leader I am, what type of tight end I am,” Sanders said. “I’m just trying to do whatever I can do to better this team in all aspects.”