5 artists Taylor Swift fans should check out

Trisha Dasgupta, Life & Arts General Reporter

Since her 2006 debut, Taylor Swift continues to reach the hearts of hopeless romantics all over the world with an extensive catalog of love songs and heartbreak anthems. For those looking for more nostalgic country tunes, punchy pop ballads or slow indie songs to add to their music library, The Daily Texan compiled a list of five artists Swifties should check out.

1. ella jane

No one loves a Jay Gatsby metaphor more than Taylor Swift, except maybe for pop artist ella jane, who found her first hit with 2020 single, “nothing else i could do” — a song she originally wrote for a high school assignment about the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel. Since then, Jane expanded her discography with several pop singles ahead of her first full-length album Marginalia, releasing on Oct. 28. Evoking themes of unrequited love and teenage heartbreak, Jane’s music will thrill any fans of Taylor Swift’s pop work with producer Jack Antonoff. 

2. Big Red Machine

Folklore and Evermore fans will appreciate Big Red Machine, which frequent Swift collaborator Aaron Dessner started in 2008. Dessner’s masterful production in conjunction with lead singer Justin Vernon’s vocals make for rich and soulful alternative ballads. The band also frequently collaborates with not only Swift herself, but also other artists featured on Swift’s records, such as Phoebe Bridgers and Illsey. Big Red Machine’s discography matches the tone of songs like “gold rush” or “willow.” 

3. Noah Cyrus 

Fans who miss Taylor’s now-retired country twang should give Noah Cyrus’s heartwrenching pop-country songs a listen. With poignant lyrics placed over soft, country acoustics, Cyrus’s newest album The Hardest Part could resemble a slightly darker version of Swift’s Red. On both albums, the artists write about toxic relationships in songs such as Cyrus’ “I Burned LA Down” and Swift’s “The Last Time.” On the album, Cyrus also talks about themes of letting go of the past in “Ready to Go,” similarly to Swift’s message in “Begin Again.”

4. Gracie Abrams

Indie-pop artist Gracie Abrams relays a certain type of relatability within each of her soft pop tunes, reminding listeners of the universality of heartbreak, from high school to Hollywood breakups. While other artists struggle in attaining the type of relatability Swift is famous for, Abrams delivers this feeling on her newest EP This Is What It Feels Like. Abrams’s lyricism shines in songs such as “Feels Like” and “Rockland,” demonstrating incredibly personal lines and powerful bridges that feel like they were ripped right out of a diary page. 

5. Suki Waterhouse

Having worked as a model and actress, Suki Waterhouse turned to making music in the past few years. Released in April, her debut album I can’t let go will particularly resonate with fans of Swift’s reputation and folklore albums. Both artists write retrospectively on heartbreak and love with deeply confessional lyricism that stands out track after track. Waterhouse’s use of extended metaphors and haunting vocals on songs like “The Devil I Know” and “Put Me Through It” make perfect playlist additions for Swift’s “Don’t Blame Me” or “mad woman” enthusiasts.