Opponents to Watch: Iowa State

Matthew Caldwell, Associate Sports Editor

After losing star players in quarterback Brock Purdy, running back Breece Hall and tight end Charlie Kolar, Iowa State is relying on its returning experience this season.

Since starting the year with a three-game win streak, the Cyclones’ winning ways have come to a halt in Big 12 play. With losses to Baylor, Kansas and Kansas State, Iowa State looks to get back on track against No. 22 Texas. In order to do so, the Cyclones will need these four upperclassmen to step up:

Xavier Hutchinson

Redshirt senior wide receiver Xavier Hutchinson is seeing an uptick in targets since the departure of Kolar. After an 83-reception season in 2021, Hutchinson is on pace to break 100 receptions this year. In every game so far, he has hauled in at least eight catches.

The Jacksonville product caught a touchdown in each of the first three games, including three in the season opener against Southeast Missouri State, all of which resulted in wins. Since then, Hutchinson has yet to find the end zone, although the receptions and yards are still there. This trend could continue against the Longhorns on Saturday.

Courtesy of Iowa State Daily

Jirehl Brock

Redshirt junior running back Jirehl Brock has big shoes to fill. He’s taking over for Hall, a former Big 12 offensive player of the year who was drafted in the second round of the NFL Draft by the New York Jets. The 6-foot, 220 pound back out of Quincy, Illinois is averaging just over 5 yards per carry so far.

Brock started the season rushing for over 70 cards in the Cyclones’ first four games but has since taken a step back after some bad game scripts. Running behind a rather experienced offensive line, Brock will be a player to watch against a Longhorn defense that has struggled to stop the run.

Colby Reeder

Courtesy of Iowa State Daily

The Cyclones defense is only allowing 13.7 points per game in large part because of their veterans. After transferring from Delaware this year, redshirt senior linebacker Colby Reeder is tied for third on the team with 28 total tackles. He also has two interceptions and two fumble recoveries, both of which came last week against No. 17 Kansas State.

Will McDonald IV

The other aforementioned experienced player is redshirt senior defensive end Will McDonald IV. The Milwaukee product leads the team in sacks at 3.5 and is well on his way to his third straight season of over 10 sacks. Ranked as the No. 9 defensive end prospect in the 2023 NFL Draft, McDonald has a bright future after his time as a Cyclone. McDonald’s speed paired with his freakish athletic abilities will be on full display this Saturday against Texas.

Courtesy of Iowa State Daily