Liveshot: Lil Nas X delivers cinematic ACL performance

Lil+Nas+X+performs+at+ACL+on+Oct.+15%2C+2022.+

Peyton Sims

Lil Nas X performs at ACL on Oct. 15, 2022.

Reya Mosby, Life & Arts Editor

Golden script sprawling across the American Express Stage read “ACT ONE REBIRTH,” shortly fading to a woman who then gave the crowd a preluding monologue. 

“This is a story about one of those special souls, and how one day, he found himself in music, and his music found us,” the voice said. “The greatest thing a human can do is to create — to create themselves, to be themselves, no matter how hard that may be. So let’s go. Let’s meet this child named Montero.” 

Peyton Sims

Then, Lil Nas X, donning a golden, armor-inspired set, walked onto the stage, gazing out to the crowd before singing his hit “Panini” to the backdrop of a vibrant galaxy. 

Lil Nas X, showcased a three act performance — “Rebirth,” “Transformation” and “Becoming” — that included multiple luxurious costumes, setting changes, dance breaks and profound monologue transitions, all coming together to create a cinematic live music experience. 

Visually, Lil Nas X curated a thrilling show with over-the-top props, including a golden horse decorated in the Coach emblem and large blue butterfly wings attached to the singer. The performer’s elaborate choreographed numbers served as points of the hour-long set’s storyline. 

Musically, Lil Nas X delivered an energizing performance to an audience who eagerly sang and danced along to fan favorites like “THATS WHAT I WANT” and “INDUSTRY BABY.” For many of his hits, the singer switched up beats and sampled well-known songs such as “Pony” by Ginuwine, “Get Your Freak On” by Missy Elliot and “Pump It” by the Black Eyed Peas. The set also featured a guitar lick reminiscent of the beginning of “When Doves Cry” by Prince to transition into Beyoncé’s “PURE/HONEY,” for a dance break.   

Lil Nas X notably performed an unreleased song he deemed “Down Souf Hoes,” which he typically plays on his tour shows. The audience buzzed with excitement as the singer invited lucky fans to dance on stage — making for one of the night’s most memorable moments.

At the end of the set, Lil Nas X surprised the audience with an encore. Differentiating from his highly vibrant and visual set, Lil Nas began “STAR WALKIN’” submerged in a black backdrop, accompanied only by a spotlight. However, as the song progressed, techno-inspired graphics flew across the screen. The encore came to a perfect close for the grandiose performance, with Lil Nas X himself shooting T-shirts into the audience.