Dear freshmen, embrace homesickness

Tommy Wan, Columnist

As my mom glazes over her signature braised pork belly with a final sprinkle of rice wine, she brings the just-steaming dish to the dining table. 

“Dinner is ready,” she says in Mandarin, asking us to come down and eat. The aroma permeates through the cracks of the house and up to my bedroom.

I grew up within the traditions of a Chinese family. Weekend Chinese school, Lunar New Year and my mother’s cooking were the defining moments of my childhood memories.

Whether it was Mom’s Turkish delights, Dad’s vintage humor, Pop’s all-American barbeque or your family’s signature celebrations, we all have defining characteristics and memories of what we called home before arriving on the Forty Acres. 

Now, our home is defined by new traditions: burnt orange, Hook ‘em hand signs and our mascot, Bevo. 

College is a big adjustment. Throughout the months, we are often reminded of what we used to call home. As such, homesickness exists — while it’s a tussle of identity, it can be a catalyst for personal growth and a source of newfound independence.

My message to the freshmen class: embrace homesickness.

Homesickness is a reminder of those to whom you were closest. You may have days when you are absolutely thriving, days when you pull all-nighters at the Perry-Castañeda Library or days when you struggle to get through classes. There are gentle buds of blossom, moments that keep you grounded, and friends who become your new family. As you find your new family, the memories we make become the heart of our college experience.

Homesickness is a reminder of growth. UT has an essence of beauty to it. Students come from all over the world — in-state, out-of-state or international. The diversity of language, traditions and student organizations allows students to find their niche. Finding your passions and honing your interests is key to personal growth, both academically and emotionally. 

Homesickness is a reminder of tradition. The food that characterized your childhood, the songs you sang, the cultures you celebrated — don’t lose them. Learn the recipe that your grandma passed down, celebrate your traditions with those closest around you, keep your native tongue sharp and never forget the roots that define your identity. 

Homesickness is a reminder of peace. Be free. This is the chance and the most ideal place to make mistakes, but don’t forget to always bounce back. Get out of your dorms and breathe the fresh air. Listen to the birds chirp as you lie in focus next to the Turtle Pond. Learn to get out of your comfort zone. Keep yourself busy, but busy with intention. 

Homesickness is a reminder of care. There’s a simple doctrine: Outside of a person’s labor, the most sacred thing they can give is their love. Somehow or another along the way, we tend to forget that. Embrace who you have, your friends, professors, roommates and those back at home. Self-care is important, even when bogged down with work. Make sure you follow routines, eat well and sleep a healthy amount. 

Homesickness is a reminder of home. Keep in touch with your family — text them, FaceTime them, reconnect with your siblings and check up on your grandparents. Doing so reminds you of the fundamental values you hold, then and now. 

Your parents and guardians are proud of you. 

I am proud of you. 

As we start a new roller coaster of chapters, discomfort is impermanent. College is an opportunity. With the chaos, don’t forget home. And call your mom, she’ll appreciate it.

You’re here for a reason. Stand in your defined purpose. You’re part of a new, loving family here at UT — a home away from home.

Wan is an aerospace engineering and Plan II freshman from Houston, Texas.