Sarkisian proud of Longhorns for gutting out win over Iowa State as Oklahoma State looms

Jordan Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor

Head coach Steve Sarkisian recalled a moment from Saturday’s TCU-Oklahoma State matchup when asked about preparing for Cowboys quarterback Spencer Sanders ahead of Texas’ road trip to Stillwater this weekend.

After Oklahoma State fell in double overtime to TCU 43-40 Saturday, TCU’s student section rushed the field. After Texas’ week four loss to Texas Tech in Lubbock, senior defensive lineman Ovie Oghoufo was shoved to the ground by a Red Raider fan rushing the field. With that in mind, a trio of Cowboys offensive linemen recognized the potentially dangerous situation. To protect their quarterback from harm, they circled around Sanders, making sure that no one could get to him as they retreated to the locker room.

“That’s a sign of a guy that’s got the respect of his teammates, that they’ll do anything to protect him,” Sarkisian said. “You can tell he’s the leader of that team and you can see the guys rally around him.”

As the No. 11 team in the nation, Sarkisian said that Oklahoma State is going to be another strong challenge this week. While Sanders is an elite college quarterback, passing for 1,639 yards and 13 touchdowns this season, the Cowboys have a veteran roster that attacks with great tempo. 

To keep Oklahoma State’s air raid offense to a minimum, Sarkisian said that the defense will need to step it up big once more. 

In Saturday’s thrilling 24-21 win over Iowa State, middle linebacker Jaylan Ford contributed to two turnovers — an endzone interception before the half and a fumble recovery that forced the Cyclones off the field late in the fourth quarter.

Over the previous two games, Texas’ defense has allowed 21 points and forced four turnovers, typically creating a short field for the offense. However, the Longhorns weren’t playing poorly before — the turnovers simply weren’t coming. 

“Our guys are playing really, really hard,” Sarkisian said. “I think when you watch us play, I don’t think there’s many times you can say they’re loafing.”

Ford’s effort doesn’t go unnoticed by Sarkisian. Said to have a high football IQ, the middle linebacker is a versatile player for Texas. He plays well against the run and can defend the pass, making him valuable in helping the defensive line make plays. 

“Coach Sark and all of them are in my corner. They tell me I’m a really good player and (to) believe in myself,” Ford said. “I’ve been taught on defense (that) effort makes plays.”

While Texas’ defense has limited big plays and been successful at rushing the quarterback this season, it hasn’t always been smooth sailing. Against Iowa State, the defense’s maturity was tested when it jumped offsides twice on third downs, extending the Cyclones’ drives. If Texas is to win against a talented Oklahoma State team, it will have to limit mistakes and keep a “one play at a time” mentality in a raucous road environment, Sarkisian said.

“You’re in an environment (where) the crowd is not cheering for you — they’re cheering against you,” Sarkisian said. “I think poise and composure (will be) really important.”

While Sarkisian expects adversity both on the road and at home, he believes that his team doesn’t let it prevent them from gutting out wins. After Iowa State rallied back in the second half Saturday, Texas scored a touchdown on a fourth-and-goal and forced the fumble on the Cyclones’ last possession, taking the game back in its grip. In comparison to last season, where the Longhorns lost four games after leading at the half, Sarkisian believes that his 2022 squad is a much healthier team. 

“A year ago, I don’t know if we win that game,” Sarkisian said. “I don’t know if we were mature enough as a team, if we had the culture to persevere, to have the poise and composure in the face of adversity like we had (Saturday).”