Arctic Monkeys’ The Car transports us on a ride through the journey of saying goodbye

Anai Jaime, General Life & Arts Reporter

With an upcoming North American tour inching closer by the minute, Arctic Monkeys released their seventh studio album, “The Car,” on Oct. 21. The alternative band tackles themes of loneliness, desire, self-doubt and the romanticization of breakups on this collection — a shift from previous, more upbeat projects that showcases a newfound vulnerability.

“There’d Better Be A Mirrorball” starts off the album with a melancholy piano tune stifled by blunt slams of a keyboard — a musical choice that piques listeners’ attention. The song, previously released as a single, introduces fans to the soft sounds of the album and kick-starts with lyrics, “Don’t’ get emotional, that ain’t like you.” 

“I Ain’t Quite Where I Think I Am” and “Hello You” bring Arctic Monkeys’ signature teaseful, seductive charm with funky intros and upbeat tunes throughout both songs. Lyrics like “Hasn’t ever been this pumped up before,” “There’s just enough time left to swing by” and “Hello You” are sung in a playful, sultry tone that show the band’s sensuality that they never shy away from. 

Themes of nostalgia compose a prominent element of the album. The light chiming of the piano repeating the same beat in the beginning of “Body Paint” causes listeners to feel like they’re reflecting back on small memories that bounce around in one’s mind. The song describes the realization of a relationship being made up of lies and betrayal. Turner repeatedly mentions “traces of body paint” in the end, as well as a snarky laugh in between singing that makes the listener relate to the overwhelming feeling of spite toward a bad lover and the urgency to make them remember. 

“The Car” and “Perfect Sense” also evoke emotional intensity with bold instrumentals and powerful guitar riffs that give an almost eerie feeling. The final song actually being “Perfect Sense” gives listeners that feeling of a spiteful yet defeated acceptance with finishing lyrics, “If that’s what it takes to say goodnight / Then that’s what it takes.” The short buildup of the strings and then a soft but almost abrupt ending leaves the listeners with a sense of clarity. 

Despite offering a different sound than 2010s albums like “A.M,” Arctic Monkeys opened up the door to a new era with “The Cars.” Their upcoming North American tour promises to unite listeners in bonding over stories of love and its woes.

4 sculptures of anything out of 5