Men’s, women’s swim, dive teams sweep double dual meet with Indiana, Texas A&M

Andrew Zamora

Texas womens swimmer Kelly Pash finishes a race in a dual meet against Texas A&M and Indiana at Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center on Oct.21, 2022. Pash won the women’s 200 and 100 yard freestyle.

Jackson Crawford, General Sports Reporter

The Texas men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams welcomed Indiana and Texas A&M to Austin on Friday for a double dual meet at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swim Center.

The women picked up two big wins over the No. 13 Hoosiers and No. 22 Aggies, and the men scraped by the No. 8 Hoosiers and cruised by the No. 14 Aggies.

Senior Kelly Pash had her best performance of the young season and the diving squad enjoyed a strong all-around performance to lift the women to their 209-89 victory over Texas A&M and 200-100 victory over Indiana.

Pash took home the top spots in the 200 Free, the 100 Free and the 200 IM, doing so in strong fashion. 

The Carmel, Indiana product won the 200 Free with a time of 1:45.86, beating the second place Hoosier swimmer by over two seconds. Next up was the 100 Free, in which Texas swimmers swept the podium. Pash took first and was joined by senior Bridget Semenuk in second and senior Kyla Leibel in third.

Pash’s final win of the day was in the 200 IM. She won by over one-and-a-half seconds, and her time of 1:57.32 was the second-fastest 200 IM time nation-wide this season.

The Texas women’s divers continued their run as one of the deepest diving teams in the nation, with three different divers taking top three spots between the two events. 

Junior Bridget O’Neil kept her dominant season going, taking first place in both the 1-meter competition and the 3-meter competition. Sophomore Hailey Hernandez took second place in the 3-meter, while senior Jordan Skilken took second in the 1-meter competition.

Other notable performances included graduate student Dakota Luther and junior Anna Elendt. Luther won two events while Elendt took second in the 200 Breast with a time of 2:10.57, the fourth fastest time in the nation this season.

Standout performances by junior distance swimmer David Johnston and fifth-year sprint swimmer Daniel Krueger helped the men take home a slim 155-145 victory over the Hoosiers and a more dominant 220-80 victory over the Aggies. The duo combined for four individual victories and one relay win in the final event of the meet.

Johnston took first in both distance events, dominating by large margins in both. Starting with the 1000 Freestyle, Johnston flew past second place Mikey Calvillo of Indiana by nearly 12 seconds. He then waited 20 events before diving into the 500 Freestyle and winning by five full seconds.

Krueger has been a force for the Longhorns over the last four years as a 19-time All-American, and this season has been no different. In the double-dual meet, Krueger won the 50 Free by just two-tenths of a second, but took home the 100 Free by nearly a full second. 

The meet against Indiana came down to the wire, and the deciding race was the 400 Free Relay. The quartet of senior Peter Larson, senior Caspar Corbeau, sophomore Luke Hobson, and Krueger defeated the Indiana A relay by just under four tenths of a second, bringing home a big top-ten victory. 

Junior Noah Duperre and freshman Nick Harris were the standout divers for Texas. Duperre took fourth in the 3-meter competition with a score of 317.70 but moved up to third in the 1-meter competition after posting a 397.40. Harris finished just behind Duperre in the 1-meter with a 393, but Harris finished ahead of Duperre in the 3-meter, taking third.

The women will next head to Toronto for the FINA World Cup Championships this weekend, and both teams will be back in Austin for a dual meet against Virginia Nov. 4-5.