Texas swimming holds first Sam Kendricks Memorial Orange And White Classic

Jackson Crawford, Sports reporter

Texas swimming began its 2022-23 season by holding the Sam Kendricks Memorial Orange and White Classic at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center for the first time Thursday.

Formerly called the Orange-White Meet, the intrasquad meet was renamed this year in honor of Kendricks, a former Texas swimming assistant coach and University alumnus.

Kendricks was regarded as one of the most iconic announcers in swimming history after his time at Texas and his swimming career began on Forty Acres under head coach Eddie Reese. After a hard-fought nine-month battle with Merkel cell carcinoma, Kendricks died on July 6.

Kendricks started as an undergraduate team manager for the men’s team in the 1980s and announced his first meet in 1983 while still working as a student manager. However, his announcing career did not fully begin until well after that when he became an assistant coach on the women’s team from 1985-87 under Richard Quick.

After coaching at the club level in Arkansas for eight years, Kendricks made his return to announcing. He became the voice of the Big 12 and eventually the voice of USA Swimming, announcing all of the Big 12 Championships between 1997 and  2021 as well as five straight Olympic Trials.

At the first-ever meet in Kendricks’ honor, the Longhorn faithful received a glimpse into who the major players will be for the men’s squad in the 2022-23 season. There were several strong performances from the usual suspects, but Thursday gave a glimpse into the future of the men’s program.

Junior Carson Foster was spectacular in the 100-yard backstroke, 200-yard backstroke and 200-yard individual medley. Foster placed first in all three events, winning each by at least one second. Foster is accompanied on the team by his brother, senior Jake Foster. The elder Foster placed second in his three events, finishing two seconds behind his brother in the 200-yard individual medley.

Senior breaststroker Caspar Corbeau dominated in the 100-yard breaststroke and 200-yard breaststroke. Corbeau finished almost a full second ahead of his competitors in the 100-yard breaststroke but had a close race against Jake Foster in the 200.

Corbeau, a 13-time All-American and two-time national champion, is one of the leaders on this Texas team.

“I was once a freshman and it’s really cool to see the roles change and now I’m a leader,” Corbeau said. “I think this is the best team culture I’ve experienced here in my four years and I’m really excited to see what that develops into.”

Fifth-year freestyle swimmer Daniel Krueger led the sprint squad, placing first in the 50-yard and 100-yard freestyle. Krueger swam the 50-yard freestyle in a quick 19.54 seconds, followed closely by freshman Aleksej Filipovic.

Though still young, Filipovic is poised to make a big difference for the Longhorns as a sprint swimmer. Filipovic finished only two-tenths of a second behind the fifth-year sprinter and was ecstatic about getting the chance to compete in Austin under Reese.

“I really am blessed to just be here,” said Filipovic. “You’re surrounded by some of the best in the world. … It’s such a great place to be. I love this place so much, I really do.”

Both the men’s and women’s teams officially open up their seasons Friday, Oct. 7 in a dual meet against Big 12 opponent TCU. Though the time is still unannounced, the meet will be held at the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center in Austin.