UT Outpost, Student Parent Organization helps little Longhorns with UT’s first diaper drive

Vivien Ayers, General news reporter

The Student Parent Organization and UT Outpost ran the first diaper, formula and baby wipe drive for UT Outpost last week — a drive that gathered over 600 pounds of goods to be distributed to students at no cost. 

UT Outpost provides free food and professional clothing to students as they face emergencies and financial hardships. A third of 80,000 community college students reported struggling with food security and paying tuition in a recent UT study, and the ability to access these child-oriented goods will alleviate the extra financial stress of students with little Longhorns. 

Students can pick up these baby essentials at the UT Outpost located in the UA9 building at 2609 University Ave.

“UT Outpost is intended to help students meet their basic needs, and sometimes students need to help meet the basic needs of others as well,” UT Outpost coordinator Valeria Martin said. “Our hope is that we can make a very welcoming space.”

Emily Rangel, president of Student Parent Organization and a student parent herself, said the group worked with Tau Sigma honor society, Graduate Student Assembly and New Wave Longhorns to aid the development of the first on-campus diaper bank.

“We felt it was like a definitive way for the community to embrace, celebrate and uplift students with young children,” Rangel said. “We’re excited for student parents to be able to go and collect (these items) for free.”

According to Student Parent Organization, “Over 50% of UT’s undergraduate student parents are Pell Grant recipients” and qualify for federal aid. The organization estimated that diapers and baby wipes can cost $120 a month per child and an additional $100 to $400 for baby formula. Added together, that’s potentially a minimum cost of $6,200 each year without extra costs like clothing and child care. With last year’s 8.2% inflation rate, it’s only becoming more expensive. 

“It was a relief to know that I’ll have that service (given) to me,” said Andria Zamarripa, a history and UTeach junior and an expecting mother. “I was already wondering how I’m going to pay for formula if I need (it).”

For students with dependents, the University offers protection for the student under Title IX,  which provides academic support for parents. They also offer on-campus child care programs like the Child Development Center that provide in-school care of dependents. UT’s Support for Students with Dependents promotes ways for students to be successful while being caretakers while enrolled in school.

“It’s been pretty good … knowing that (as) a small community on campus that (we have a) place here, despite having a different life … or having different schedules because we will have children, or we do have children,” Zamarripa said. “I know that I still belong here and it doesn’t take away from anything that I accomplish here.”