Bo Davis key to Keondre Coburn’s late surge

Jordan Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor

After last season, super senior defensive tackle Keondre Coburn nearly declared for the NFL draft. 

Mentored by current Buffalo Bills first-round defensive tackle Ed Oliver at Westfield High School, Coburn has been primed for stardom since the beginning of his career. He was a heavily recruited four-star prospect in high school, receiving offers from blueblood football programs such as Alabama, Ohio State and Oklahoma. 

After redshirting his freshman season, Coburn started on the Longhorns’ defensive line for three seasons before 2022, racking up two Big 12 Honorable Mentions in that time. Listed at 6 feet, 2 inches and 344 pounds, Coburn was projected to get drafted in the fifth round following Texas’ lackluster 5-7 season.

However, head coach Steve Sarkisian and defensive line coach Bo Davis convinced him to stay in Austin for another year.

Immediately after last season, Coburn sat down with Sarkisian for a heart-to-heart regarding his career plans. In the meeting, Sarkisian told him that to be a more complete NFL prospect, Coburn had to pressure the quarterback more. In his three seasons starting, Coburn was credited with a mere four sacks and an uninspiring two quarterback hurries in 2021.

“I knew I needed to get that done,” Coburn said. “If you know what you’ve got to work on, why not take advantage of that?”

After that conversation, Coburn immediately got to work. He and Davis began scheduling extra meetings to streamline his development, in addition to the scheduled drills during summer training. Through that programming and individual work with Davis, Coburn narrowed his focus on learning to flip his hips faster and using his hands to get after the quarterback. 

The hard work in the offseason is paying off. 

This year, Coburn is the highest graded interior lineman against the pass rush and is the heart of a Texas defense that leads the FBS in quarterback pressures. He is also turning into a bit of a ball hog: in last Saturday’s Kansas State game, Coburn’s sack fumble prevented the Wildcats from driving the ball down the field to score during the two minute warning. It was only his third forced fumble of his career.

“I think for him, it was really gratifying that he’s put in so much work, and now there’s the reward in the end,” Sarkisian said. “(I’m) happy for him, but I think he’ll be the first one to tell you there’s more out there for him.”

Coburn credits Davis for his staggering improvement after the 2021 season. According to Coburn, the line coach is the best that he has had in his football career. Davis instills the values of hard work and has pride in the way he prepares and plays the game.

“I’m ready to die for Coach Davis at any moment,” Coburn said. “He changed my life. That’s my dog, (and) that’s my coach.”

While Coburn has emerged as a talented player and experienced vocal leader on the team, he is also known for his bubbly, warm personality. While in high school, former Longhorn and current New Orleans Saints defensive tackle Malcolm Roach gave him the nickname “Snacks” during a recruiting visit.

While he certainly enjoys being the locker room comedian and the guy sealing games on forced fumbles, Coburn follows Sarkisian and Davis’ advice to not let the moment get too big and to always seek improvement.

“Coach Davis preached to us, ‘You never know when your number is gonna be called,’ and I’m glad it was me,” Coburn said. “I’m getting a little spotlight, but it’s on to the next.”