UT RecSports TeXercise classes should be cheaper

Chloe Lawrence, Columnist

Many students on campus are aware that exercise is a cornerstone of general well-being. But when school picks up, consistent exercise becomes difficult. Plus, some students simply don’t know how to get started at the gym. 

Workout classes are a great solution to these barriers: They can be scheduled into your day and are facilitated in a group setting by an instructor who knows what they’re doing. 

In fact, studies show group exercise is actually more beneficial than solo exercise in reducing stress. Additionally, workout classes are a great way to make friends, push your physical limits and exercise in a healthy and balanced manner. 

UT has a program specifically for group exercise: TeXercise. Students can purchase a pass that gives them unlimited access to weekly classes. However, at $25 per month, this program isn’t affordable for some students. UT should offer more consistent free TeXercise classes as a way to support students’ well-being.

Biology senior Chantelle Cancel has previously taken advantage of TeXercise’s free offerings but has not purchased a pass.

“It’s a combination of having a really strict schedule that I have to adhere to, and also the fact that TeXercise classes are a little pricey for what they include, even though there are a lot of classes that they offer at varying times in the day,” Cancel said. “I feel like because of the convenience and because we’re students, (the price) shouldn’t be as much as it is.” 

While the location of TeXercise classes makes it ideal for students who have a hectic schedule or don’t have access to transportation, the price is still an ever-present barrier.  

Adrienne MacKenzie, associate director of fitness and wellness at UT RecSports, recognizes the economic barrier for students. But she also pointed out that this program is a lot more affordable than others offered around town.

“We recognize that it is a cost for the pass, but one of the things people don’t often realize is that we have to pay and train our instructors,” MacKenzie said. “We have to buy all the equipment and bring in the kind of certifications and cutting-edge stuff. … We are really not out to make money.” 

MacKenzie also said there are free events hosted monthly, and anyone interested in trying TeXercise can try a class for free before committing to a membership.

However, once a month or select weeks where classes are free doesn’t support a healthy, balanced lifestyle, nor does it take into account students’ busy schedules. 

As members of the UT community, students deserve access to free workout classes. Until this becomes financially possible for the University, there are lots of free events outside campus to enjoy, such as Swift Fit Events. However, these options aren’t reliable, flexible or ideal for college students with busy schedules and tight budgets.

Students deserve access to resources that support their success and well-being. UT should prioritize TeXercise classes in the budget as a way of recognizing the care its students deserve. 

Lawrence is a social work senior from Austin, Texas.