Big 12 Power Rankings – Week 12

Evan Vieth, Sports Reporter

1) TCU Horned Frogs

As the undisputed top team in the Big 12, TCU boasts an undefeated record and a direct pathway into the college football playoff. The conference’s best offense is locked into the Big 12 championship game, and after a big win in Austin against the Longhorns, TCU looks ready to compete with the best in the nation.

2) Kansas State Wildcats

Despite losing to the Longhorns two weeks prior, Kansas State still holds the easiest path to the second spot in the Big 12 championship game. Kansas State is the only other team with two or less conference losses, and the Wildcats’ commanding win over Baylor on Saturday is a confidence booster for head coach Chris Klieman.

3) Texas Longhorns

Texas’ up-and-down season has led to many heartbreaking Big 12 defeats, but at the moment the Longhorns still have a path to the conference championship game. The Longhorns, despite a very poor offensive showing, only lost by one score to the Horned Frogs. The win over Kansas State two weeks ago showed that the Longhorns are still dangerous. 

4) Baylor Bears

Baylor came into the year as one of the favorites to win the Big 12, and despite a relatively quiet season, head coach Dave Aranda’s squad is quickly turning things around. The Bears have won three of their last four games, but last week’s blowout loss to the Kansas State Wildcats hurts their Big 12 championship hopes greatly. Baylor will need to beat TCU and Texas in its final two games to have a chance at the championship game.

5) Oklahoma State Cowboys

The Cowboys began the season hot, taking a top 10 spot in the AP Top 25 and starting 5-0 on the season. A heartbreaking loss against TCU spoiled its chances at a playoff bid, but a win against Texas a week later held it at a strong 6-1 after seven weeks. Since then, Oklahoma State lost to both Kansas schools and barely defeated Iowa State. However, the Cowboys still technically have a chance at making the Big 12 title game.

6) Texas Tech Red Raiders

Since defeating the Texas Longhorns at home in Week 4, the Texas Tech Red Raiders are just 2-4 in their Big 12 games. Sitting at just three wins on the season in Big 12 play and 5-5 on the season, the Red Raiders still need one more win to clinch bowl eligibility.

7) Kansas Jayhawks

No team has surprised the Big 12 more than Kansas. The Jayhawks were ranked earlier this season and are bowl eligible for the first time since 2008.  But, Kansas has failed to step up in big games, only winning one of its last five games. Though the  Oklahoma State win was impressive, the buzz around the Jayhawks season has stopped as quickly as it started.

8) West Virginia Mountaineers 

West Virginia, alongside Oklahoma and Iowa State, are the only three teams in the conference with two or less Big 12 wins. West Virginia’s year has been rough, but after a close win against Oklahoma in Week 11, it’s one step closer to bowl eligibility.

9) Oklahoma Sooners

Oklahoma finished 2021 as a top 10 team in the nation, but now head coach Brett Venables’ team is struggling to crack a .500 record on the year. Oklahoma has lost two straight, and its next games against Oklahoma State and Texas Tech will be big tests for a coach who has failed to live up to expectations so far.

10)  Iowa State Cyclones

Iowa State is the weakest team in the Big 12. With only one conference win and a 4-6 record overall, the Cyclone’s season has been a disappointment, especially on the offensive side of the football. Although the regular season is almost over, Iowa State has yet to find an offensive identity in the post-Brock Purdy era.