Opponents to Watch – Kansas

Emma Hutchinson, Senior Sports Reporter

Without a consistent starting quarterback, Kansas relies on a solid array of offensive and defensive players to lead the way to a potential victory. These four players should be on the radar for Saturday’s matchup:  

Devin Neal

The Lawrence, Kansas, product proved his admiring qualities in Kansas’ upset win against the Oklahoma State Cowboys, tallying up 334 total all-purpose yards and becoming the first Jayhawk to tally over 200 rushing yards and 100 receiving yards in a single game.

Neal has the ability to not only catch the ball accurately, but to be light on his feet when the ball lands in his gloves. His performance against the Cowboys earned him the Jayhawks’ second Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week title. He currently averages 6.7 yards per carry and 95 rushing yards per game.    

Kenny Logan Jr.

Serving as a defensive powerhouse for the Jayhawks, senior safety Kenny Logan Jr. always seems to be in the right place at the right time. He currently leads the team in tackles with 80 across the season, with 51 of them being solo. Logan recorded a season-high of 14 tackles in Kansas’ battle against Oklahoma, while also earning one interception as well. 

Logan has been a reliable player since he joined the Jayhawks in 2019. He’s received multiple honors, including an honorable mention on the 2020 All-Big 12 team. Last Saturday, he returned two kickoffs for 36 yards and initiated 11 tackles against Texas Tech. 

Luke Grimm

Junior wide receiver Luke Grimm makes silent progress as he closes out his third year with the Jayhawks. 

Grimm led the team in receptions and catches per game on multiple occasions, the latest being against TCU. He recorded six receptions for 73 yards, making it his third straight game where he’s led in receptions and his fourth straight game with a touchdown catch.

Combined with Neal, Grimm’s efforts will be crucial to gaining an upper hand against Texas. 

Quentin Skinner

Wide receiver Quentin Skinner is leaving an impressive mark on his team this season. Although he’s only a redshirt sophomore, the wide receiver turned heads from the beginning of the season, starting with his game-winning touchdown against West Virginia in overtime. 

From there, Skinner is averaging 16 yards per reception and accumulated five touchdowns throughout the 10 games that he’s played. 

While not the most flashy player, Skinner definitely has the potential to be prominent in the offensive scene if he continues to have success in finding the ball in the air.