Texas men’s, women’s diving teams finish victorious at Texas Diving Invitational

Jackson Crawford, General Sports Reporter

No. 1 Texas welcomed LSU, Utah, Notre Dame, Stanford and Texas A&M to the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center as the Longhorns defended their home turf, defeating all five teams in the annual Texas Diving Invitational this weekend.

Texas saw dominating performances from both the men’s and women’s teams, but it was junior Noah Duperre who stood out, continuing his dominant season with a stellar performance. The women’s team saw a strong overall team effort as every diver helped make a difference.

Duperre, who has been a solid diver for head coach Matt Scoggin all year, reached the podium in three different events. 

The New Albany, Ohio product took second place in the men’s 1-meter Thursday with a score of 372.55, placing behind Nick Harris. Duperre then settled into the 3-meter finals on Friday and was the only Longhorn to place in the event with a second-place score of 407.20.

Duperre’s final event of the invitational was the men’s platform, a category in which Texas has not yet competed this season. Duperre brought home third with a score of 332.20, just two points behind senior Andrew Harness.

The invitational also featured a team diving event to lead off Wednesday. The Texas men placed first with a score of 393.70 using a combination of 1-meter, 3-meter, and 10-meter platform dives

With the help of top three finishes from Duperre, Harness and Harris, the Texas men secured a dominant victory. The women’s team also secured a decisive win, but unlike the men who won with three main contributors, almost every diver contributed.

In the combined team event on Wednesday, the Texas women edged out the LSU women, winning by just two points with a score of 342.20. Using a similar combination of dives as the men, Wednesday helped set the tone for the rest of the weekend.

In the women’s 3-meter event, the Texas women secured their first points on the dives of sophomore Hailey Hernandez and junior Bridget O’Neil. The duo took home third and fourth behind swimmers from Arizona and LSU, scoring 346.00 and 342.55, respectively.

On Friday, the women’s team saw three of its divers participate in the 1-meter finals. O’Neil took home first this time, scoring 316.70. Senior Jordan Skilken put up her first points as she posted a score of 303.20. Hernandez was the final diver to compete in the event for Texas, and the sophomore took home fifth just behind Skilken with a score of 295.15.

The big performances came in the women’s platform, as all three Texas divers placed in the Top 5 for the event. 

Senior Janie Boyle scored in her first individual event of the weekend, placing second with a 323.60. Freshman Sarah Carruthers followed in third with 295.05. Finally, Skilken scored again, placing fifth with a score of 277.50.

Both the No.1 men’s and No.1 women’s swimming and diving teams will be back in action on Nov. 30 as they head up to Minneapolis for the Minnesota Invitational.