Release course schedules earlier

Mihir Gokhale, Columnist

Navigating the UT course schedule is a hallmark of UT’s academic experience. This coveted document describes all courses taught at the University for a given semester, along with their accompanying instructors, dates and locations. Even though the course schedule is an invaluable academic resource for students, the University releases it inconveniently close to registration. 

UT should release the course schedule earlier to streamline the registration process. 

Currently, UT’s website states that “course schedules are published about two weeks before registration begins for a semester.” But two weeks is simply not enough time. 

Computer science freshman Navya Agrawal criticized the late release of UT’s course schedule for the spring semester. 

“I would have liked to see (the course schedule) released a month in advance so that I can plan it out,” Agrawal said. “In a span of two weeks, I had to decide (everything) and then get information on what professors to choose, so there’s a lot of work.” 

The University’s approach binds students to a strict timetable. Students must hastily choose classes, research professors and plan several schedules while juggling their daily routines. For students who wish to consult with their academic advisors, finding a meeting time so close to their registration date is often difficult. 

These various factors can prevent students from developing optimal course schedules suited to their needs. Many students may feel they’ve missed out on certain academic opportunities.

“It feels a little last minute,” said government sophomore Paras Patel. “Based on … (when UT releases) the catalog and the registration period, I don’t think there’s enough time to do that stress-free. It’s just really overwhelming for students.” 

Despite multiple requests, University administration was not available for comment prior to the publication of this article. 

Rather than releasing the course schedule two weeks before registration, UT should release these archives at least four weeks in advance. This much-needed change will give students roughly one month to thoroughly understand their academic situation, consider all available options and finalize classes. Thus, students could plan at their own pace before committing to a semester-long regimen. 

Course schedules greatly influence students’ scholastic lifestyles throughout their four years on the Forty Acres. Students should have access to these valuable documents long before registration. By releasing course schedules earlier, UT can allow its student body to make more informed and less pressured academic decisions. 

The result? A more productive, satisfied and academically-prepared student body. 

Gokhale is an undeclared business freshman from Allen, Texas.