Steven Spielberg’s ‘The Fabelmans’ is a love letter to cinema

Ryan Ranc, Senior Film Columnist

Steven Spielberg’s “The Fabelmans” follows the life of Sammy Fabelman (Gabriel LaBelle), as he grows up to love the art of filmmaking. Loosely based on Spielberg’s own life, Sammy begins to question the point of his films when issues arise in his home life. 

Each performance of the titular Fabelman family holds its own and drives emotional beats throughout the narrative. LaBelle successfully conveys the angst of a teenager and the pretentious nature of many filmmakers. Yet even with that pretentious attitude, Sammy comes across as a character with a good heart and a passion for art. Paul Dano gives an excellent performance as Sammy’s sympathetic father, Burt, who struggles to understand the career potential in his child’s hobby. Dano plays Burt in a way that will leave audiences feeling emotional from the amount of love and kindness he shows despite his flaws. Another notable performance came from Michelle Williams as Sammy’s broken yet loveable mother, Mitzi. Mitzi will do anything to support her son’s drive to create. Williams gives a particularly striking performance in conveying one of the main conflicts of the movie — marital issues between Mitzi and Burt.

The most interesting storytelling device employed in “The Fabelmans” came from the passage of time. Audiences follow Sammy through his entire life, from seeing his love for film sparked while watching a movie in the opening scene to watching him receive advice from a very important film professional. By applying the theme and plot throughout the entirety of the protagonist’s childhood, audiences better connect and understand how each character grows and how they play a role in the world Spielberg constructs. 

“The Fabelmans” not only feels like Spielberg’s own self-insert, but also his “thank you” to longtime audiences. The script makes film-related jokes for filmmakers, as well as general audiences, to enjoy. It references classic tropes, such as the jock and nerd dynamic, as well as some of Spielberg’s works.

Steven Spielberg made “The Fabelmans” as a love letter to his career and his fans. With time, the film promises to become a must-watch for young filmmakers everywhere. In the meantime, audiences can enjoy this heartbreaking, beautiful and joyful rollercoaster.

5 rolls of film out of 5