Associate social media editor writes more than 250 characters

Kaitlyn Wilkes, Associate social media editor

For all 143 of you who liked the “cow” tweet, you’re welcome. If you had told my freshman year self that I would be getting paid to write tweets like that I would’ve thought it was a good joke, a great joke even. Who needs the prestige of the news department or the editing abilities of audio or video when the five social p-staffers can workshop news related memes at an alarmingly fast pace?

Although the social department does specialize in writing Texan and news related memes, it has also been an amazing opportunity to see this department grow in what it was originally designed to do: share the amazing stories created by the Texan staff to all our followers. Social media has always been an interest of mine, and I’m so happy I found such a supportive department that helped me nurture my skills and give me the ability to recognize 250 characters without looking at the wordcount. Without the amazing stories, audio, comics, photos or videos, we would not have a job. Having to write and edit social copy for everything that comes through has shown me time and time again why this is the most awarded college newspaper in the country. 

Bernice, Sarah, Sophia and Chloe: Y’all are the best p-staff a girl could ask for. I’m sorry I’m leaving you to write all the sports copy. I loved getting to know y’all, I’m so glad we could talk about book recommendations, Harry Styles and bond over broken laptops together. Y’all made my time at the Texan great, and I know amazing things will continue to come out of the social department with y’all on the p-staff. To the general staffers, thank you for putting up with my vague comments about rewording your copy. Hopefully, they were a little helpful. All of you are amazing and have a bright future ahead of you! 

As a transfer student, sometimes I fall victim to imposter syndrome. The people in the social department and those outside of the social department I worked with have shown me that I do belong here. As I embark on my last semester of college this spring, I have been given confidence in my abilities, which is all I could ask for. 

Thank you for everything, I will always cherish my time on the Texan. Since President Obama and John Cena follow us on Twitter, I like to think they have seen the tweets I have edited and written at 9 a.m. Hopefully they thought they were good.