Opinion editor tells all in one-time exclusive

Mia Abbe, Associate opinion editor

My sophomore year, I applied to the opinion department on a whim. I had already been rejected from The Texan twice and figured, “I have opinions, how hard is it to write my opinion.” 

Very hard, as I learned. Despite the ongoing fear that I would be fired, I persisted and after a semester of writing some columns I’m proud of (and pitching some that should never see the light of day), I moved up as an editor. 

I spent two semesters in the role, sent way too many emails to UT comms and loved every minute. 

Jay, you were my favorite editor. Thank you for taking out my oxford commas every week. Faith, I wouldn’t have picked anyone else to brave Student Government interviews with. Sruti, you are an exceptional editor and write the best opinion polls. 

Alyssa, you were my favorite columnist and are a joy to work with. Michael, I’m sorry you didn’t make the dodgeball team. Maybe next year! Lucero, I am so grateful for our friendship. You are a great editor who knows what needs to be said. Never lose that. 

I love my fellow associates, but working with columnists quickly became my favorite part of my job. To my columnists, Tommy, Aliya, Ellie and Ava: I’m so grateful I could watch you all grow as writers and am excited to see what you do next.

Sanika, thank you for hiring me, believing in me and being my role model. Megan, you made me laugh so much this year, and I’m looking forward to our next Mario Kart rematch. Thank you for not firing me. 

The opinion section will always hold a special place in my heart, but some of my favorite memories at The Texan are during my semester as associate managing editor. Thank you to Peter, our excellent advisor who patiently coached me through our first night of print, and to Anna, Hairuo and Hope, who made production nights so fun. 

That summer, I also began an alleged “beef” with the sports department, but I’m here to set the record straight: Matthew, meeting you made the late night edits and googling of sports terms worth it. I hate to admit it, but you’ve turned me into a sports fan through and through. 

I could go on, but my word count is dwindling. Fiza, I have had so much fun with you this semester, whether we were jetting off to see Lorde in Baltimore or online shopping in the opinion office. You are a phenomenal friend and managing editor, and are going to do great things in London and D.C.

Thank you to my roommate Saee, for putting up with me only talking about the Texan for the last year and a half and Sahana, for always helping me find sources. Lastly, thank you to my parents who encouraged me to reapply even after I dramatically claimed “I was done.” 

For me, the basement always felt a little like home. I made a dozen mistakes and way too many jokes about roaches, but I found a community, a voice and a direction. I applied to The Texan on a whim, but because of it I finally know where I want to go.