Political cartoonist has Trumpy Dumpty to thank for launch of career

Yulissa Chavez, Editorial cartoonist

I was a fresh-faced freshman that was just about to finish their first semester of college. Trump had won the 2016 presidential election and I was heartbroken and enraged. So, I drew.  My first cartoon was a caricature of Donald Trump and Betsy Devos. Since then, I have been following a range of politicians and so-called statesmen to point out contradictions, lies and lack of common sense. This goes for anybody in the political spectrum. 

Doing this while also being satirical and comical was always a challenge, but I am so glad I had the opportunity to combine my love for politics and art. Throughout the years, I received hate comments from people who would disagree, challenges from complete strangers, etc. Nevertheless, I loved every moment of those late nights drawing people by referring to photographs and mastering the art of satire and solemn illustrations. I believe art is universal. All people can feel something towards art that does not need to be put into words. We need art to make politics more accessible and digestible to as many people as possible. 

But let’s not get too serious. Let’s bring it back to me, after all, this is my last hoorah at the Texan. Here’s a story: I remember The New York Times and I made a similar cartoon. This was back in 2017 when Trump tried to get rid of DACA. I had drawn a caricature of Donald Trump as the villainous Freddy Krueger from the A Nightmare on Elm Streetfranchise, about to terrorize a dreamer student with their back turned. Come to find out the next day (after my cartoon was already published in the paper and on the web), the New York Times made an eerily similar cartoon to my own. I am by no means implying that they copied me. But I will make a point to humble brag here: I had the creativity of a professional political cartoonist/editorial illustrator in the big leagues. After I graduated, I then went on to teach high school during the COVID-19 pandemic. I then came back to school for my graduate degree in public policy and continued making political cartoons for the semester. My art style has changed throughout the years, but I have become bolder. I am forever grateful for the opportunities and support that the Texan has offered me throughout these years. As much as this makes me want to throw up, I must thank Trump for igniting a fire in me I didn’t know I had. 

In summary, if you’ve made it this far (thanks!), you should remember this: Some people just want to watch the world burn. I am one of those people that snitches and makes fun of people who want to watch the world burn. I will continue to deliver news and challenge readers to think using my creativity.