‘You belong here’: Hispanic and Latinx people discuss holding city of Austin internships

Tamara Rodriguez, Audio reporter

Data from the city of Austin revealed people who identify as Hispanic or Latino held more internships with the city than any other ethnicity between 2018 and 2022. 

According to the data, 638 people who identify as Hispanic/Latino held an internship for the city between 2018 and 2022. During the same time span, the city had 546 white interns, 138 Asian interns and 138 Black interns. Elena Jimenez, an early career recruiter for the city, said in an email that the city’s workforce aligns with the racial and ethnic demographics of the city, and the city selects interns based on “merit” and “fitness,” not on ethnicity or race. 

Kellee Coleman, interim chief equity officer for the city, said she believes there is a good representation of the Hispanic community in the municipality. While Hispanic and Latino identifying interns make up the majority of the positions held, Coleman said the city struggles with retention. 

“If you have a culture in a department that may not be positive, or may not be friendly, (such as) to a Mexican person, or someone who is gender non-binary and Latino, … then because you recruited them, how long did they stay?” Coleman said.  

UT alumna Alicia Ramirez held an internship for the city in the intergovernmental relations department in January 2019. After finishing her internship in May that year, Ramirez said she was offered a full-time position and worked for the city an additional two years. 

“I left because I got another opportunity elsewhere,” Ramirez said.  “(The city of Austin) internship really helped me get the current position that I have right now, and I’m really thankful for that.”

Now, Ramirez works as a constituent liaison for Vanessa Fuentes, the District 2 Austin city council member.  

When it comes to UT students, Jimenez said the city understands the importance of having a diversified workforce. 

“Over the last few years, we have seen the growth in diverse students from not only UT, but universities across Texas, which is why we believe that following this change in demographic, it should be a priority that all students have access to diverse internships,” Jimenez said.

Data from the city also stated that internships held by people identifying as Hispanic or Latino are projected to grow in the coming years. Ramirez said she thinks the data is encouraging and a reflection of the city’s values.

“To other students who are first generation, from immigrant parents, or from a minority community, you belong here and you can bring your own chair to the table,” Ramirez said. “They don’t want you to have your own seat. You make your own seat and keep working hard because I think at the end of the day, it is very much worth it.”