Longhorns defeat Horned Frogs in Fort Worth, keep undefeated conference record alive

Katie Borchetta, Sports Reporter

Texas women’s basketball cleaned the court with TCU in an 81-69 win at Schollmaier Arena Wednesday night.

Texas is now on an eight-game win streak with a 2–0 conference record, adding to their first Big 12 win against Kansas State on Dec. 31. 

The matchup between the Longhorns and the Horned Frogs seemed to be relatively close. TCU’s hard-to-break two-three zone defense made it difficult for Texas to drive and get into the paint. However, Texas prevailed due to its 23 offensive rebounds. Texas also showed a composed and well-moving offense that led to many scoring opportunities. However, the fouls in this matchup were an integral part of the scoring, with 32 of TCU’s points coming from fouls against Texas.

Sophomore guard Rori Harmon had a season high 17 points and her first triple-double, with 11 assists and 10 rebounds as well. The last Texas women’s basketball player to have a triple-double was Ashleigh Fontenette in 2010.

Junior forward DeYona Gaston led the team with 20 points and played a good role as a post player defensively, filling in for sophomore forward Aaliyah Moore, who is out due to injury. Graduate student guard Shaylee Gonzales also scored 16 points and 7 rebounds.

The first quarter started off strong for the Longhorns, with Texas building an initial lead that was  held throughout the whole game. Harmon showed her fast, yet controlled ball handling, with four points and multiple steals. The Horned Frogs were able to hold their own primarily because of fouls and free throws, but the Longhorns still finished the first quarter 22-14.

The second quarter showed faster transition play between the two teams because of sloppy passes that resulted in turnovers. Junior guard Shay Holle showed off her shooting with a 3-pointer and a jump-shot. Texas finished out the quarter with a 10 point lead, making the score 40-30.

In the third quarter, Texas held its largest lead at 16 points. TCU’s defense placed more pressure on Harmon in an attempt to create more turnovers. The Horned Frogs also seemed to have more controlled offensive plays in this quarter. Sophomore guard Knisha Godfrey’s energy near the end of the quarter carried the team for a small comeback, with graduate student guard Tomi Taiwo finishing the quarter off with a 3-pointer. 

The fourth and final quarter was full of Texas drawing more fouls and getting to the free throw line. TCU started to press Texas in transition more as a way to create turnovers. However, the Horned Frogs’ multiple turnovers, travels and fouls inevitably destroyed their chance of a comeback in this quarter and sealed another Longhorn victory with a final score of 81-69.

Texas will take on Oklahoma State this Saturday at 6 p.m. in Stillwater.