Logan Eggleston’s triumphant Texas career comes to close

Julius Shieh

Senior Logan Eggleston jumps to block the ball during a game against Kansas State on Nov. 16, 2022.

Tori Garcia, Sports Reporter

After five years of wearing a Longhorn jersey, with the 2022 NCAA National Championship title under her belt, outsider hitter Logan Eggleston posted a bittersweet goodbye to Texas in order to embark on her professional volleyball career.  

“I truly cannot put into words the love and appreciation I have for this program and all of these amazing people,” Eggleston said on Instagram on Dec. 19. “I am so incredibly grateful for Texas volleyball! I’m so proud to be a Longhorn for life and can’t wait for my next chapter to begin.”

Eggleston will begin the next step of her career overseas in Turkey. Galatasaray HDI Sigorta, a professional women’s volleyball club in Turkey, recruited the All-American and signed her to a 1.5 year contract. 

Eggleston’s time at Texas will be cherished and remembered by the Longhorn volleyball program. In her five-year Texas career, Eggleston racked up 1,921 total kills, only placing behind Mira Topic (2001-2004) and Demetria Sance (1995-1998) in Texas’ record book. 

Over the past five seasons, Eggleston has been the backbone of the team and a model of consistency. During her time at Texas, she led the Longhorns to their sixth consecutive Big 12 volleyball championship, two national championship appearances and the program’s third national championship title.

Eggleston’s final year at Texas was nothing short of spectacular. This past season, Eggleston clinched the Longhorn ace record over Topic, finishing the season with 208 total service aces.  In addition, after guiding top-ranked Texas to the national championship match, Eggleston was the first Longhorn to be named the American Volleyball Coaches Association’s Division 1 National Player of the Year since the honor was first introduced in 1985.

“There’s so many great volleyball players in the country and on our team,” Eggleston said to the Austin American-Statesman. “It’s really an honor to get recognized like that. It’s definitely a team award. I couldn’t have gotten the award without all the hard work my teammates put me in. They put me in great situations every single point. It’s honestly truly a team award.”

The Brentwood, Tennessee product moved away from home a year early to pursue her collegiate volleyball journey at Texas, and she quickly found her home and family-like connections on the Forty Acres and within the Longhorn volleyball program. Eggleston expressed gratitude for the constant support from the Texas community that transformed her life and shaped her into the person she is today.

“I always knew that volleyball was something that I loved,” Eggleston said on Instagram on Dec. 17. “But this program has allowed me to grow outside of volleyball. I have found my identity outside of my sport, my voice, and have been given a platform to use in so many amazing ways.”

Off the court, Eggleston was an advocate for social change. In September 2020, she and redshirt senior middle blocker Asjia O’Neal wrote the script for a video posted to their program’s social media accounts that demonstrated the players’ support for the Black Lives Matter movement.

Although her time at Texas has come to a close, her illustrious career as a Longhorn and inspirational drive will leave Eggleston with a long-lasting legacy as one of the best athletes in program history.

“She’s accomplished so much, not only for Texas volleyball, but also just volleyball as a whole,” former teammate and outside hitter Madisen Skinner said in regards to Eggleston. “She’s helped grow the game and inspired so many different people. … She’s definitely going to go down as one of the best players in collegiate volleyball, and her legacy will continue through professional volleyball.”