No. 10 Texas completes another comeback victory, defeating Texas Tech 72-70

Payne Williams, Sports Desk Editor

No. 10 Texas defeated Texas Tech 72-70, in the Longhorns’ second straight home victory Saturday night.

For the second time this week, Texas got off to a slow start offensively and trailed entering halftime, but used the break to regroup and emerge in the second half with a different attitude.

“We need to play more assertive … we need to make more decisive plays,” acting head coach Rodney Terry said on Texas’ recent slow starts. “We were a little timid, to be honest, to start the game.”

Texas’ lead ball-handler, graduate student guard Marcus Carr, took control early in the second half, and the rest of the Longhorns followed suit.

The guard began his takeover with a three-pointer as time expired on Texas’ shot clock, igniting the Moody Center’s crowd.

Carr followed the shot by scoring six of the Longhorns’ following eight points while the defense tightened on the other end.

The Texas defense struggled to contain Texas Tech offensively early in the game, specifically in the paint. However, after the half, the Longhorns swarmed the interior and made it difficult for the Red Raiders to score easy points.

After Texas forced a Texas Tech turnover, graduate student guard Sir’Jabari Rice tied the game with a transition three-pointer. Rice converted two free throws on the following possession and gave Texas its first lead since the game’s opening minutes.

The Longhorns maintained their lead for the remainder of the game, allowing the Red Raiders to tie the game just once more.

Carr led scoring with 20 total points, 15 in the second half, and tied with Christian Bishop for rebounds with six.

Former Longhorn and sophomore guard Jaylon Tyson finished with 14 rebounds, pacing the Red Raiders.

“It was for sure extra motivation being back here,” Tyson said. “It felt like we were back at practice.”

Tyson was only in Austin for the first few months of the 2021-2022 season before he transferred to Texas Tech.

Texas clinched the win despite its second-leading scorer, sophomore guard Tyrese Hunter, being held scoreless.

“Even when (Hunter is not at his best), I think his leadership and experience out there really gives us help on both ends of the floor,” Terry said.

The victory marks the Longhorns’ second-consecutive second half comeback and leaves the Red Raiders still searching for their first conference win.

Texas faces No. 14 Iowa State on Tuesday in Ames as it begins its two-game road trip.