Cunningham’s career high, Carr’s 21 points lead Texas to win over Oklahoma State, 89-75

Matthew Caldwell, Associate Sports Editor

After a brief road trip which the Longhorns split, No. 10 Texas faced Oklahoma State at home on Tuesday night.

A little over two weeks ago, the Longhorns used a late run to pull away from the Cowboys in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Tonight, Texas dominated from tipoff.

Both squads came out a little sloppy, turning the ball over a combined five times in the first five minutes.

Despite not cashing in on Oklahoma State’s turnovers, Texas dominated the glass, hauling in four offensive rebounds and scoring 10 of its first 14 points in the paint before the Cowboys called their first timeout in an attempt to stop the Longhorns’ momentum.

The timeout didn’t seem to work though, as graduate student forward Brock Cunningham came up with a steal that led to graduate student guard Marcus Carr’s second triple of the game, giving Texas an early double-digit lead.

Oklahoma State would fight back, but a scoring drought that lasted the final 3:31 of the first half helped the Longhorns go into the break up 40-32.

Once again, Carr and senior forward Dylan Disu led Texas in scoring early on, combining for half of the team’s points.

Carr would continue his strong showing into the second half. The Longhorns recorded two steals, one of which by Carr, that led to two fast break layups, one of which also by Carr.

Within seconds, Texas’ lead blossomed to 12 after a fadeaway jumper by Carr, who was truly doing it all.

The Cowboys kept the game within striking distance though, trading buckets with the Longhorns for most of the second half. But everytime they cut down the lead, Texas would answer on the other end.

John-Michael Wright was doing whatever it took to keep Oklahoma State in the game, exploding for 13 points in the second half, with over five minutes still to go.

Cunningham wouldn’t allow the Cowboys to stay in the game however. The Austin native had one of his best games of the season, ending with a career-high 15 points and a perfect 3-for-3 from deep.

“The success is because of the guys around me,” Cunningham said after the game regarding his shooting.

Cunningham wasn’t the only player on fire from the 3-point line. As a team, the Longhorns shot an incredible 8-of-13, which comes out to 62%.

This historic shooting night paired with a 41-27 advantage in the rebounds category helped Texas secure their second win over Oklahoma State, 89-75.

“To have 14 offensive rebounds is really big,” head coach Rodney Terry said. “And to be plus-14, that was a huge part of the game.”

Senior forward Timmy Allen’s 17 points along with Disu’s 12 points helped the cause as well, but the game MVP would have to go to Carr, who built upon his 23-point game against West Virginia with a solid 21 point, four assist game.

“Really good team win tonight,” head coach Rodney Terry said. “I thought every guy that came in tonight had a contribution to the game, whether it was on defense, rebounding or scoring the ball for us.”

The Longhorns next matchup comes against No. 4 Tennessee in Knoxville for the SEC/Big 12 Challenge on Jan. 28 in what will be a true road test for the team.

“We’ll play the best defensive team in the country on Saturday,” head coach Rodney Terry said. “It’s going to be a great game. It’s going to be a great atmosphere.”