The Texan’s guide to current construction on campus

Madeline Duncan, Senior News Reporter

While burnt orange is UT’s color, students have been seeing more of a bright orange on campus lately due to construction. Below are some notable spots on campus under renovation. 

Battle Hall

Home to UT’s famous blue doors, Battle Hall houses the Architecture and Planning Library and is one of the oldest buildings on campus. Its exterior is receiving renovations and restorations. The renovation will replace the sloped roof of the building, and restore exterior doors, windows and balconies to support the integrity and historical ornaments of the building. The restoration will also update fire safety protocols, including the fire alarm and sprinkler system. The construction currently blocks portions of the Main Mall and West Mall. Construction plans to make the building entrance accessible under the Americans with Disabilities Act and add a gender-neutral, ADA-compliant bathroom.

Started: March 21, 2022

Prospective end date: Feb. 8, 2023

Blanton Museum of Art

The grounds of the Blanton Museum are experiencing renovations to include new shade areas, murals, sound art installations and landscaping outside the museum. The mural by artist Carmen Herrera will span the entrance to the Mari and James A. Michener Gallery Building. New landscaping will add 30 trees and more than 25,000 new plants to the grounds. Entrance to the museum from Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard is currently blocked and only accessible from the north side of the building along Brazos Street.

Started: March 9, 2021

Prospective end date: Spring 2023

Digital Scholars Lab

A new Digital Scholars Lab will open in the Perry-Castañeda Library in fall 2023, replacing the current printing and computer center on the ground floor. The lab is designed to accommodate digital learning needs, including a data lab with 32 Apple computers, six project rooms for video conferencing and four smaller spaces for group work. The space will also host events for digital scholarship and aims to promote digital research, according to a press release.

Started: Jan. 6, 2023 

Prospective end date: Fall 2023

Hogg Memorial Auditorium

The Hogg Memorial Auditorium is receiving renovations to replace the building’s mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems. The renovation will also replace the roof and add new seating. Construction will also make the building meet fire safety, ADA and Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation requirements.

Started: Nov. 8, 2021

Prospective end date: March 10, 2023