Longhorns represent at Texas Tech Open & Multis

Assad Malik

Senior Leo Neugebauer propels himself above a pole vault lath during the 94th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays Thursday, March 24, 2022, at Mike A. Myers Track and Soccer Stadium. Neugebauer, a native of Leinfelden-Echterdingen, Germany, holds the title of being a three-time All-American.

JT Bowen, General Sports Reporter

Senior Leo Neugebauer and junior Kristina Blazevica both took home second place representing Texas men’s and women’s track at the Texas Tech Multis in Lubbock this weekend.

Neugebauer put up a combined score of 6097 in his runner-up performance, which included a second-place finish in the shot put with a 16.04m (52-7.5ft) best. He added a 5.0m pole vault performance and a 7.43m long jump, which were both good for third place in their categories.

Neugebauer was the only athlete in the men’s competitors to finish in the top-10 of all seven events.

On the women’s side, Blazevica was one of two competitors to finish in the top-10 in all events en route to her second place finish with a total score of 4224. That included a first-place finish in the 800m with a time of 2:15.61, which was six-hundredths of a second shy of being a full four seconds faster than the second-place finisher.

Blazevica added a personal best in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.46 seconds, earning her second place, in addition to a fourth-place finish in the long jump with a 5.97m leap.

The pair of second-place finishes in the heptathlon continues the recent trend of the Longhorns’ international track and field athletes leading the pack. The efforts of Neugebauer, who is from Germany, and Blazevica, from Latvia, come just days after the record-setting weekend by Julien Alfred and Rhasidat Adeleke, who are from St. Lucia and Ireland, respectively.

The Longhorns return to the Albuquerque Convention Center next weekend for the New Mexico Collegiate Classic.