Johntay Cook and Tre Wisner bring winning culture to Texas

Collins Grushey, Sports Reporter

Texas’ highly-ranked 2023 recruiting class will seek to replenish departing talent and fortify key positions. Two high school teammates could play a significant role in the process.

Johntay Cook II, the Longhorns’ 5-star wide receiver signee, is a player who could make an instant impact in the passing game. Cook posted an illustrious career for 6A Division II powerhouse DeSoto High School, recording 51 touchdowns across his three varsity seasons. 

Cook’s name has lived on the national radar since his sophomore year. However, there’s another noteworthy player that factored into DeSoto’s success. 

Tre Wisner joined Cook at DeSoto after transferring from Waco’s Connally High School. Wisner’s fruitful junior season saw him win Co-Offensive MVP for the district, where he rushed for 909 yards at a staggering 11.8 yards per carry.

Transferring to DeSoto allowed Wisner to expand his role as an offensive talent. Amidst a crowded backfield, he took reps as a running back, slot receiver and flashed his explosiveness as a kick returner. His versatility was vital in DeSoto’s 6A title win over Austin Vandegrift, when he notched 210 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns. 

“You know, it’s amazing, man, transferring (to DeSoto) at the beginning of the spring,” Wisner said in an interview with Bally Sports Southwest after the state championship game in December. “It was just open arms, so me coming to a program that had a bunch of potential, I was ready to just fit in and do my part.”

Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian shared similar remarks on Wisner’s potential in the offense during Texas football’s early signing day press conference on Dec. 21st.

“We don’t want the same runner every year,” Sarkisian said. “(Cedric Baxter Jr.) is gonna be a big, physical back, one that we’re used to having in our system, and then you compliment that with a Tre Wisner, a guy who is a very versatile back, …  that complementary look of those two guys to fit into our system is really important.”

While the 2023 signing class features many big names, Sarkisian also picked up two teammates who proved their worth in Texas high school football’s largest classification.

“You look at this class, a lot of these guys were state champions either this year or last year in their junior year,” Sarkisian said during Texas’ early signing day on Dec. 21. “I think we’ll continue to infuse this winning culture into our mentality,” 

Cook was another key contributor to DeSoto’s state championship victory, tallying 103 receiving yards and a touchdown. It was Cook’s dream to bring a state championship to his hometown, and he seeks even loftier goals for himself and his teammates during their time on the Forty Acres.

“I want to be like that (2019) LSU and that (2020) Alabama team when they had Mac Jones, who won best quarterback, Devonta (Smith), who won the Heisman and Biletnikoff, and somebody on our defense wins the Thorpe (award); that’s how I want our class to be.” Cook stated in an interview with Rivals in December.

Sarkisian was the offensive coordinator for that 2020 Alabama team, and Cook and Wisner’s potential for the same production lies at Texas. They’ll seek to continue their success as teammates, this time in burnt orange uniforms.