No. 5 Texas men’s swimming and diving defeats SMU in regular season finale

Elijah Garcia, General Sports Reporter

No. 5 Texas men’s swimming and diving hosted and defeated SMU in its final regular season meet. Texas won with a resounding 181-83 and finished their season with a 9-1 record. The Longhorns took the last meet of the season to improve their times and solidify the depth of their team heading into the postseason.

While the Texas Swimming Center stands were tame in the season finale, the Longhorns took it upon themselves to keep the energy up. Texas swim took up the entire poolside length as they cheered, yelled and encouraged their competing teammates in the pool.

Texas won 14 out of 15 events, six of which had two Longhorns clinching both first and second place. The Longhorns also came away from the meet with 11 swimmers setting a mix of personal and season bests.

Fifth-year Daniel Krueger and freshmen Spencer Aurnou-Rhees and Manning Haskal swept the 200 yard freestyle while earning a trio of season bests, with Krueger checking in at 1:37.09. Freshman Alex Filipovic also set a season-best 55.56 in the 100 yard breaststroke as did junior Coby Carrozza in the 100 yard freestyle with a 43.70 second-place finish.

Seniors Ethan Harder, Jake Foster and Caspar Corbeau all set season-bests, winning their respective events. Harder finished with a time of 1:42.49 in the 200 yard backstroke, Foster touched the wall at 4:18.46 in the 500 yard and Corbeau finished at 1:44.96 in the 200 yard individual medley.

Sophomore Luke Hobson highlighted the meet with two career bests. Hobson finished first in the 100 yard freestyle and butterfly, where he finished at 42.58 and 47.74, respectively. 

Juniors Carson Foster and David Johnston earned the other two career bests on the day from their events. Foster finished first with a time of 1:53.77 in the 200 yard breaststroke, and Johnston came in third in the 200 yard individual medley with a finish of 1:46.38.

The Longhorn’s squad tuned up nicely against SMU and looks ready to compete for the familiar postseason hardware at the Big 12 Championships. Texas will host the four-day Big 12 Championships starting on Feb. 22.