‘Knock at the Cabin’ delivers new take on apocalyptic genre

Courtesy of Universal Pictures

(from left) Adriane (Abby Quinn), Sabrina (Nikki Amuka-Bird), Leonard (Dave Bautista) and Redmond (Rupert Grint) in Knock at the Cabin, directed by M. Night Shyamalan.

Anai Jaime, General Life & Arts Reporter

Director M. Night Shyamalan brings audiences a fresh take on a cliche trope with his newest movie, “Knock at the Cabin. 

The movie follows a family made up of Eric (Jonathan Groff), Andrew (Ben Aldridge) and their daughter Wen (Kristen Cui) as they attempt to escape a group of strangers who believe in an imminent apocalypse with Leonard (Dave Bautista) as their leader. The group poses the family with the impossible task of choosing one of their own to sacrifice in order to save the world from chaos. 

“Knock at the Cabin” delivers suspense and anxiety within the first minutes of the movie. Shyamalan takes the overused “home invasion” plotline but turns the story into an unpredictable thriller. Just when audiences think they know what’s going to happen, a twist comes knocking on the door. With faith and credence as major themes throughout the film, Shyamalan makes choosing sides almost impossible. Strategic lighting and haunting shadows create an eerie atmosphere within the cabin, especially throughout different parts of the home that signify turns in events and character enlightenment. 

Each actor brings humanity to their performances. The apocalyptic group members demonstrate raw vulnerability and the desperate need for humans to salvage what they can. Groff and Alridge create a sense of tight familial love that makes viewers cross their fingers in hopes of their happy ending. The notable performance from child-actor Cui lands seconds within her first appearance on screen. Her natural delivery and facial expressions make audiences want to protect her against all odds. However, corny lines like “I’ll show you I was chosen to put a bullet in your head” make the movie seem overexaggerated.

“Knock at the Cabin” limits interactions with the outside world, giving glimpses of context only through flashbacks and TV news stations. Shyamalan ties the viewers up in their chairs and makes them debate whether to deem the group members as lunatics or (obnoxiously) righteous people. However, the ending felt anticlimactic and unsatisfactory when viewers follow the family as they escape the cabin and breach the outside world once again.

With colorful shots of greenery, the film’s stunning visuals contrast against the dark aura of the fatal situation. Despite the fast-paced beginning, viewers understand the purpose of the cabin’s tension through intense close-ups, experimental angles and ominous music. 

Above all, Shyamalan delivers a beautiful message with “Knock at the Cabin.” Heart-wrenching dialogue and emotional chemistry between the actors leave audiences wondering just how much the characters’ choices say about the selflessness of humanity.

3.5 grasshoppers out of 5