No. 1 Texas continues hot streak in top-25 matchup

Juan Ferro, General Sports Reporter

Texas women’s tennis defeated No. 24 USC 6-1 this weekend, maintaining its unbeaten streak as it faced a team on the ITA Collegiate Tennis Rankings Top 25, at the Edgar O. and Melanie A. Weller Tennis Center in Austin.

For Texas’ doubles, junior Charlotte Chavatipon paired with freshman Nicole Khirin against Naomi Cheong and Snow Han. Junior Taisiya Pachkaleva paired with freshman Nicole Rivkin against No. 20 pair Eryn Cayetano and Madison Sieg, while graduate student Marlee Zein and sophomore Sabina Zeynalova faced Grace Piper and Nathalie Rodilosso.

The pair of Chavatipon and Khirin started off the match nicely for Texas with a 6-1 doubles victory over Cheong and Han. Chavatipon put an end to the set with an overhead, giving Texas a lead. 

Texas won the first point of the day with a 6-3 win by Zein and Zeynalova over Piper and Rodilosso. The Texas pair clinched the doubles point for Texas, setting up the scoreboard 1-0. 

After the first sets of all singles matchups, Texas and USC had the lead in three matches each. Chavatipon took the set 6-4 over Cayetano, Zeynalova 6-1 over Han and Rivkin 6-2 over Piper. 

Zeynalova finished first for Texas against No. 17 Han in a second set with no games allowed, ending with a 6-1, 6-0 victory to set a 2-0 scoreboard for Texas. 

Texas extended its lead to 3-0 with Chavatipon’s dominant victory over No. 24 Cayetano in a 6-4, 6-2 match.

Rivkin secured the fourth point for Texas with a thrilling second set tie-breaker over Piper which resulted in a 6-2, 7-5 victory. 

USC claimed its only point of the encounter with a three-set victory by No. 2 Sieg over Khirin that made the score 4-1.

Texas increased the lead with a comeback victory by Pachkaleva over No. 83 Emma Charney. After a 6-0 victory in the first set, Pachkaleva took back-to-back sets 6-3, 6-1, making the score 5-1 for Texas. 

After coming back for a 6-0 second set against No. 96 Cheong, No. 85 junior Malaika Rapolu finished the encounter with a tie-breaking victory to give Texas the last point for a 6-1 finish. 

Starting Friday, the Longhorns will travel to Seattle for the ITA National Team Indoor Championship.