No. 20 Texas gains early lead against Texas Tech, secures another home win 80-71

Assad Mailk

Junior forward DeYona Gaston attempts a layup against Texas Tech on Feb 8. 2022. Texas defeated Texas Tech 80 – 71.

Emma Hutchinson, Senior Sports Reporter

Looking to avenge a tough loss in Lubbock, No. 20 Texas women’s basketball extended its winning streak with an 80-71 win against Texas Tech at the Moody Center Wednesday night.

Early foul trouble suggested it would be a long night for the Longhorns, along with their rushed shots and struggle to retain a rebound. However, as the first half got underway, Texas quickly reset their pace, gaining as many as 20 points on Texas Tech.

Texas was without its regular starting graduate guard Sonya Morris for the evening due to a lower body injury, leaving junior guard Shay Holle with a chance to shine. Holle led the defensive side of things, accumulating five rebounds and three steals on the night.  

“We know very well that we can win games without certain people. We’re learning to play through adversity,” sophomore guard Rori Harmon said. “Shay stepped up big time playing 40 minutes like she did.”   

The Westlake graduate is one of the few veteran team members, having been with the Longhorns since the beginning of head coach Vic Schaefer’s Texas career. Schaefer has shown concern for the team’s chemistry, underlining the importance of veteran members assisting with new faces and constant injuries.  

“We can’t control what happens throughout the season,” junior forward DeYona Gaston said. “We just have to make sure we’re able to stay with each other and be there for each other whenever we need to.”            

Graduate guard Shaylee Gonzales, along with Harmon, took charge of the offense, combining for a total of 40 points. In the first half alone, Gonzales made three of four 3-pointers and would go on to make 10-of-10 free throws for the night. Harmon provided 10 assists and recorded another double-double as she leads the Big 12 in assists.     

“(Harmon) made shots tonight from out there because she’s been in the gym for three straight days,” Schaefer said. “If you spend time on your game, the game will honor you, so I was happy for her.”             

A strong performance by Texas Tech senior guard Bre’Amber Scott kept Texas on its toes as she carried the Red Raiders in scoring with 26 points. Scott recorded four 3-pointers, her season best, against Texas in their previous matchup, but the Longhorns held her to only two of five tonight.    

By the end of the third quarter, Texas had gotten into a groove. Eventually, it became a competition for who could foul each other out first until Texas Tech was left with the short end of the stick.    

The Longhorns continue to clutch onto their No. 1 position in the Big 12 as they take on the TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday at the Moody Center.