Reconsidering the American dream

Megan Tran, Alexa Leon, and Tommy Wan

Our communities are built on brick, mortar and sentences — the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, precedent and rules. One word at a time, we reveal the enriching and dutiful history of the United States.

Coined in 1931, the phrase “American dream” represents our nation’s growing historical heritage and an uncertain pathway for immigrant families. It’s our national ethos and our belief in economic and social mobility. It’s the idea that with enough hard work, one can achieve anything in our country.

This promise of success is alluring. However, for different families and individuals, the meaning of the American dream changes. For some, their dreams are difficult or even impossible to attain. For others, dreams motivate them. As we consider what this dream means to us, we can find new chapters that gleam and promise an inclusive future for all.

For this forum, we asked members of the UT community to discuss their perspectives on what achieving the American dream means to them, whether it’s accessible to everyone and how different communities envision it.

In this forum project:

Isaiah Mosley, a justice on the UT Supreme Court and a Plan II freshman, defines what the American dream means to him — an inaccessible, fleeting fairy tale that favors those with a sense of accessibility.

Karma Chávez, Bobby and Sherri Patton professor of Mexican American and Latina/o studies and department chair, contends that the American dream is a dangerous myth.

Elissa Steglich, clinical professor and co-director of the Immigration Clinic at the Texas School of Law, argues that eliminating systemic barriers in immigration legal practice can help realize the American dream.

The forum team consists of forum editors Alexa Leon, Tommy Wan and editor-in-chief Megan Tran. As always, if you have any thoughts on this topic or any other, please feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].