No. 6 Texas falls short to Texas Tech in Lubbock, 74-67

Matthew Caldwell, Associate Sports Editor

No. 6 Texas fell short to its Big 12 rival Texas Tech 74-67 on Monday night at the United Supermarkets Arena. The two teams have some history, which was surely a driving factor in the raucous environment in Lubbock.

Red Raider fans are passionate about their basketball team, even when the team is tied for last in the conference. Despite its record, Texas Tech is always a highly physical and competitive matchup for Texas, and interim head coach Rodney Terry is well aware.

“We expect a really good, tough ball game over at their place,” Terry said before the game.

To begin the game, all momentum was on the Red Raiders’s side. Texas Tech scored the game’s first seven points before senior forward Dylan Disu cashed a deep 3-pointer to end the run and start one for the Longhorns who scored the next 10 points.

Graduate guard Sir’Jabari Rice picked up where he left off on Saturday. The Houston product put in a quick eight points, giving the Longhorns a 21-19 lead.

Texas Tech guard De’Vion Harmon was single-handedly keeping Texas Tech in the game. The senior transfer from Oklahoma had 12 of Tech’s first 23 points. While Harmon was on the bench, the Red Raider offense looked helpless, but as soon as he subbed back in, it came to life.

By the end of the first half, the two teams were shooting over 50% from beyond the arc.

Harmon shot at a very high efficiency. The senior had a game-high 21 points, including his buzzer-beating three to end the first half, giving Texas Tech a 44-35 lead.

For the sixth time this season, Texas found itself down by nine or more at halftime. If the Longhorns wanted to climb out of the hole, they would have to find an answer for Harmon.

That they did. Harmon didn’t score a point in the first nine minutes of the second half, and Texas was slowly clawing its way back into the game, largely behind graduate guard Marcus Carr’s 17 points.

In a matter of minutes, the Red Raiders lead was cut to five.

Texas held on to its hot shooting streak with a Disu three-pointer that tied the game for the first time since 5:16 left in the first half.

The crowd, which had gone quiet while the Longhorns crept back into the game, was now as loud as ever hoping for a win over their biggest rivals.

On the next few possessions, Carr and Disu made it to the free-throw line but were unable to convert on 2-of-3 shots, bringing Texas’ free throw percentage down to 63%.

Nevertheless, it was a one possession game with 48.7 seconds remaining after Adams burned one of Tech’s final two timeouts.

Unable to convert on a wide open three-point attempt, the Longhorns were lucky to retain possession after the Red Raiders knocked the ball out of bounds.

The inbound play couldn’t have been drawn up any better, but Cunningham missed the layup, all but cementing the win for Texas Tech.

Harmon’s career-high 25 points alongside forward Kevin Obanor’s 19 points helped lead the winning effort for the Red Raiders.

Next up on Texas’ schedule is Oklahoma on Saturday at the Moody Center.