Women’s golf places 8th at Therese Hession Regional Challenge

Francesca Gigliotti, General Sports Reporter

No. 6 Texas women’s golf started its spring season with an eighth-place finish Tuesday at the Therese Hession Regional Challenge. The Longhorns finished with a final card of 290, 295, 289 and 22-over par at the event in Palos Verdes Estates, California.

Texas finished in sixth place at the end of Sunday’s play, but moved down to seventh following Monday’s round. Despite posting a better score than the day before, the Longhorns fell to a final rank of eighth place at the conclusion of the tournament. This marks a slight regression from their last showing — a fourth place finish at the Stanford Intercollegiate in October.

Texas sent freshman Angela Heo, senior Sophie Guo, sophomore Bohyun Park, junior Bentley Cotton and freshman Cindy Hsu, marking the same lineup as the last tournament. 

The Longhorns were led by Guo’s performance, who finished in a tie for second place. Guo shot 69-69-72 and 3-under par over 54 holes — her best final card of the season, and it ties the best performance of any Longhorn golfer this season. 

Hsu also posted a top-25 finish, ending T-24 after shooting 73-76-70 and 6-over par. Heo, Park and Cotton finished T-45, T-76 and T-37, respectively.

Of the 16 teams that competed in the tournament, each school ended over-par, and only four individuals, including Guo, finished under par.

No. 5 Oregon took first place in the tournament, finishing 6-over and with a five stroke lead over No. 1 Stanford, which finished in second place. No. 23 USC and No. 18 Baylor rounded out the podium, tying for third-place at 12-over. 

The Longhorns take the course again from Feb. 27-March 1 at the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate tournament hosted by the University of South Carolina.