Texas uses early runs to build lead, never looks back, throttles Iowa State 72-54

Matthew Caldwell, Associate Sports Editor

As No. 8 Texas nears the end of the regular season, each game becomes more and more important. Kansas, Baylor and Texas are all vying for the Big 12 Championship with just three games remaining. The Longhorns’ final four games all come against ranked opponents, starting with No. 23 Iowa State who traveled to Austin on Tuesday night.

Early on, the Cyclones looked determined to hand the Longhorns another loss as they went on a quick 8-0 run before a well-timed media timeout.

Texas answered in convincing fashion, going on a 12-0 run of its own and forcing Iowa State head coach T.J. Otzelberger into using his first timeout. We never got to see what play Otzelberger drew up during the timeout because stifling defense from the Longhorns forced a 10-second violation. The bombardment from Texas continued until Iowa State finally put an end to the 16-0 run.

However, as soon as that run ended, another began. Texas extended its lead, 36-21, thanks to an 11-0 run led by sophomore guard Tyrese Hunter, who was facing his former team for just the second time since departing last offseason.

“It got away from us quick,” Otzelberger said after the game. “They shot the ball with tremendous confidence tonight … When they’re shooting the ball well and they’re getting points in transition, they’re really hard to stop.”

Propelled by a prolific 3-point shooting half and superb defense, the Longhorns went into the half up 47-29, their second largest lead at the half since Big 12 play started.

“We played up in Ames. They were the more physical team that night, they were the tougher team that night,” Terry said about their last meeting against the Cyclones.

On Tuesday night, Texas played harder on both ends of the floor. This led to more turnovers for the Cyclones, open looks and thus higher shooting percentages.

By the end of the game, the Longhorns had three players in double figure scoring including graduate guards Marcus Carr and Sir’Jabari Rice. They also had solid showings from freshman guard Arterio Morris and graduate forward Brock Cunningham, both of whom added eight points of their own. Texas was led by Hunter though. The former Cyclone put up 15 points, the most he’s contributed since Jan. 3.

“Tyrese has been working extremely hard,” Terry said. “I’m glad to see that he had some positive results today.”

Hunter had been in a shooting slump for nearly two months prior to tonight, but what better game to break out of it than against his former team. He helped the Longhorns get the win in dominating fashion, 72-54, while also avoiding a season sweep from Iowa State.

Texas’ next matchup comes in an ever-important game against No. 9 Baylor in Waco on Saturday afternoon.

“We’re gonna play a really good team on their home court Saturday in Waco,” Terry said. “(Baylor’s) as good a team as you’re going to play in the country.”