What is something at UT that students can believe in?

George Boghs and Ana Fuentes

Editor’s Note: This column was submitted to the Texan by a member of the UT community.

When we met during our second year through the Hook the Vote Agency, we found that the answer to that question was not Student Government. Issues of transparency and accountability had created a sense of distrust amongst the student body towards the organization, which resulted in a lack of progressive action and student advocacy. Through our time as student leaders within the space of SG, we have seen and experienced the frustrations of the student body, as well as how the organization has significantly improved and evolved as a result of effective leadership. However, we have simultaneously recognized how student voices continue to be silenced across the institution and how student-centered interests are continually pushed aside. At a University level, financial aid equity, access to food and mental health resources and equitable wages for students should be resources that students can not only expect but can rely on as well. Our shared experiences have taught us that the connection between SG and the student body is not only important but a necessity.

As an executive alliance, we believe that you, the student body, are something to believe in. If elected, we will work in stride to make the institution of SG something that UT students can believe in as well. 

Historically, UT Student Government has lacked both transparency and accountability. Under the current administration, we have seen how this has begun to gradually change. Because of this, we plan to initiate a measure and report system on our policy initiatives. Within all levels of SG, this will be a prominent focus within our administration.

Our policy platform, which constitutes the foundation of our campaign, relies heavily on collaboration with student organizations throughout campus, specifically those which represent and advocate for communities that have been historically overlooked and marginalized within institutions of higher education. From addressing issues of food insecurity to advocating for reproductive justice and promoting civic engagement, it is essential that ALL voices are included in these conversations. If elected, our alliance and administration would work to not only collaborate with these groups but to amplify their voices and opinions surrounding relevant issues. It is only through fostering this sense of unity that SG as a whole can move towards the development of representative change. 

In addition to representative action within SG initiatives, an important and unique aspect of our platform centers around cultivating partnerships beyond the reach of campus. As the active voice of the student body, it is the responsibility of the organization to additionally advocate on behalf of students within the greater Austin and Texas communities. Partnering with local organizations, community organizers and nonprofits, such as working with the District Attorney’s office, will provide SG with greater visibility and resources. Additionally, by cultivating partnerships outside of the University, we will be able to allocate further funds to address student needs. 

Through our past positions and our time at UT, we understand the shortcomings of SG and how past administrations have fallen short of addressing and representing the student body. Further, we know that change is necessary. Through our diverse experiences, we mean to act as bridge builders through our work, creating an inclusive environment within SG and fostering strong connections both within and beyond campus. As an executive alliance, we would work to initiate tangible and sustainable change to truly make Student Government at UT something ALL students can believe in. 

Vote for something to believe in. Vote for George & Ana from Feb. 27 to 28 at UTexasVote.org

Boghs is a government junior from McAllen, Texas. Fuentes is a government junior from New Braunfels, Texas.