Hailey Dolcini continues to contribute to Texas softball as a grad assistant

Joseph Mireles, General Sports Reporter

Hailey Dolcini made an instant impact on the softball team during her short time as a Longhorn. 

In 2022, Dolcini transferred to Texas from Fresno State as a graduate student and quickly emerged as the number one pitcher on the Longhorns pitching staff. A fiery competitor, Dolcini seemed to have the ball in her hand in every big moment during the 2022 season. 

One of the notable career highlights for Dolcini during her time at Texas was when she defeated No. 1 ranked Oklahoma to end its 40-game win streak, which dated back to the previous season. Oklahoma had entered the game with a 38–0 record, and the win marked the Longhorns’ first win against the Sooners since 2014. This momentum would carry over into the rest of the season as Dolcini led the Longhorns to the Women’s College World Series and an appearance in the national championship series. 

As a Longhorn, Dolcini had a record of 24–12 with a total of 217 strikeouts. However, this season the former Longhorns ace looks to impact the team in a different way — as a graduate assistant. 

“This next year will be a great little year for me to learn a little bit more about myself outside of the student athlete role and still be part of softball,” Dolcini said on the “In The Circle” podcast. “It’ll be nice to stay close to the game, but yeah, I’m excited for what everything has in store.” 

Dolcini learned a lot over the years playing softball, but now as a graduate assistant, she will get to learn more about the coaching aspect of the game. Becoming a graduate assistant allows former athletes to still be a part of the game that they have a passion for. Dolcini will look to build on her knowledge of the game and pass it on to this season’s young group of Longhorns. 

“There’s a lot that goes on on the coaching side that  student athletes have no clue about, so I’m excited to learn about that stuff as well,” Dolcini said. 

Dolcini will hand the pitching reins over to her former teammates junior Estelle Czech and sophomore Sophia Simpson, who also both played a big role in helping the Longhorns reach the 2022 Women’s College World Series. Dolcini will also get the chance to mentor freshman pitcher Citlaly Gutierrez and Mac Morgan, a sophomore pitcher and Arizona State transfer.