UT Senate resolution supports Invest in Texas platform to protect higher education

Ireland Blouin, Senior News Reporter

The University Legislative Student Organizations are collaborating to support Invest in Texas, an initiative geared toward protecting educational frameworks that student leaders involved in say have been put at risk during the current Texas legislative session. 

This year’s UT Senate resolution focuses on topics that will impact the future of higher education. The legislation states that the 88th Texas Legislative Session will “set landmark precedents deciding the freedom of curriculum and student rights on and off campus.”

The Senate of College Councils announced resolution S.R. 2208 in support of the Invest in Texas platform last Thursday. Student government and the Graduate Student Assembly also stated intentions to announce similar actions soon.

SG advocacy director Izzy Richards said the Senate’s platform puts most of its focus on academic issues. SG plans to have its platform focus on the bills that could affect student life.

“We all have different legislative priorities,” Richards said. “So for Student Government, that looks like fighting food insecurity, focusing on disability rights, housing, affordability (and) voter engagement.”

Richards said one issue every LSO participating in Invest in Texas is concerned about is the role of diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education, particularly following an announcement from UT administration stating all new DEI efforts would be paused until further review. Not only would this affect the student body as a whole but also the way many LSOs operate, Richards said. 

“There’s a lot of bills and a lot of talk of curbing efforts surrounding DEI in higher education,” Richards said. “A lot of positions in Senate, Student Government and Graduate Student Assembly surround the DEI, and the work that they do is jeopardized by these bills.”

Decisions on what the Invest in Texas platform will consist of are made by culminating the LSOs’ input, student body input and the ideas of other organizations. 

“We gauged student input last semester on Speedway (by asking) students about initiatives they cared about,” Senate vice president Sameeha Rizvi said. “From all of the culmination of that feedback, we were able to create this platform that we hope represents the needs and wants of students, especially marginalized students at the University.”

The platform supports events that push the initiatives of the LSOs at the Texas State Capitol. Richards said students outside of the LSOs are encouraged to sign up to testify for or against bills at the Capitol.

Aside from demonstrations, Rizvi said the Senate is planning to create committees that will host teach-ins to educate students about bills relevant to student life and higher education.

“As a student myself, it has been very hard to navigate the Texas Legislature and all the bills that are coming in,” Rizvi said. “I can only imagine what other students are going through. Through this committee within Invest in Texas, I’m hoping that we’re able to produce a lot of information and education that’s accessible to the student body so they also can engage with the legislature.”