Former Georgia wide receiver Adonai Mitchell can make a big impact at Texas

Collins Grushey, General Sports Reporter

Texas’ 2022 football team featured many strengths and retooled position groups from the prior season, culminating in a three-win improvement from 2021.

However, while the rushing attack and newly shaped defense stood out, the team felt they were lacking a key piece.

Head coach Steve Sarkisian shared similar sentiments at the Alamo Bowl post-game press conference on December 30, 2022 when reflecting on Casey Cain’s emergence in the bowl game. Cain recorded 108 yards in the Alamo Bowl, which was the most receiving yards he had in a single game all season.

“It kind of felt like all year we were searching for a third wideout,” Sarkisian said following the bowl game.

While Cain’s performance provides optimism for the future, a recent addition to the team may be the missing third wideout Sarkisian talked about.

On Jan. 20, junior wide receiver Adonai Mitchell announced his transfer to Texas via Twitter. The in-state product hails from Missouri City, where he attended Ridge Point High School for his first two high school seasons then transferred to Cane Ridge High School in Tennessee for his junior season.

Upon entering college football, Mitchell’s impact was felt immediately. As a true freshman, Mitchell started 12 games for the Georgia Bulldogs, playing more offensive snaps than any other Bulldog receiver at 53% of all available possessions. This impact translated to 29 catches for 426 yards in his debut season, with notable performances against Tennessee, catching five receptions for 65 yards, and South Carolina, catching four catches for 77 yards, among others.

Although Mitchell played a significant role during the 2021 regular season for the Georgia Bulldogs, his playoff performances put him on the national radar. He scored a touchdown in all four playoff games during the 2021 and 2022 seasons, including the go-ahead 40-yard touchdown against Alabama in the 2021 national championship game. Arguably his most crucial catch came against Ohio State last season where he caught a 10-yard pass to put the Bulldogs up 42-41 with 44 seconds remaining, ultimately sealing his team’s national championship.

Mitchell’s former Georgia teammates had nothing but praise for his natural abilities.

Some stuff you can’t coach,” George Pickens, former Georgia wide receiver, said about Mitchell in 2022.That’s really part of it. He’s got the skills, he’s got the mindset, the routes, the speed. I mean, he’s got it all.” 

Mitchell’s talent should be a reason for redshirt freshman quarterback Quinn Ewers to rejoice over the passing attack next season. Alongside Mitchell, Texas’ three leading pass-catchers, Xavier Worthy, Jordan Whittington and Ja’Tavion Sanders, are returning next season. Additionally, Cain and other meaningful contributors will be available, while younger receivers like sophomore Brenen Thompson have another year of development.

That’s not even factoring highly-touted newcomers Johntay Cook II and Ryan Niblett, among others, all of whom could figure into the rotation.

Will Mitchell make it three national championship rings next season? Only time will tell.