Get a flu shot. The flu travels too.

Alea Lastinger, Contributor

Spring break is this month: an exciting week many look forward to as a popular time to travel and gather with friends and family. I encourage all students, before you grab your swimsuits or ski gear and pack your bags, to take one more important step and get a flu shot, if you have not already done so this season, before traveling or gathering with loved ones. I advocate for this because, for my family and many others, getting the flu has unfortunately proved to turn deadly. 

Here is my story: In February of 2004, two weeks before I was born, my family lost my older sister, Emily, to the flu. She had been diagnosed with the flu on Jan. 29, and despite being given anti-viral medication, her symptoms continued to worsen over the next couple of days. She would sicken and then energize over the course of the weekend. On the morning of Feb. 2, they decided to take her to her pediatrician just to have professional eyes on her. They showered Emily and left her to rest and watch cartoons while they did some other chores. My mom returned a few minutes later and found she wasn’t breathing. 

My parents performed CPR and called 911. In the emergency room, doctors were able to restart her heart, but the damage to her system was too severe. Emily died later that evening. It took only five days for the flu to kill my sister.   

Growing up, I heard countless stories from my parents about Emily and the moments they shared with her. I often find myself wondering what it would be like to have a sister, a role model to look up to, especially now as I navigate through a year of firsts: my first time living separately from my parents, my first true consideration of what career I want to pursue and all those things that come along with your first two semesters of college. I contemplate all the things Emily could have accomplished by now if she had the opportunity to grow up. Emily’s story taught my family the importance of taking care of our health, especially during flu season. 

Flu vaccination is important to me and my family because it is a way to honor my sister’s memory and protect ourselves and our communities from the pain and loss we experienced. No family should have to face such a tragic, preventable loss when there is a simple solution — getting the flu shot.

A common misconception is that flu vaccination is for the old and the immunocompromised. However, it is just as important for everyone to get vaccinated each year to protect themselves and their loved ones.

My sister Emily was healthy, and she died from influenza. As an executive member of the Families Fighting Flu junior board, I urge fellow students and everyone to get vaccinated before spring break, not just for their own health, but also for the health and safety of their loved ones and peers.

Let us all take a small step toward a healthier and safer world. 

Lastinger is a biology freshman and a junior board member of Families Fighting Flu from Colleyville, Texas.