Liveshot: Bobby Weir, Wolf Bros bring new life, musical mastery to Grateful Dead classics

Alex Luevano

On March 7, 2023, artist Bobby Weir & Wolf Bros featuring The Wolfpack performs at the Moody Theater.

Logan Dubel, Senior Life&Arts Reporter

Psychedelic strobe lights, hippie sandals and masterful musicianship arrived at the Moody Theater Tuesday night, as Grateful Dead original Bobby Weir and his band, Wolf Bros, unleashed a ‘60s California counterculture haze. 

Performing for roughly three hours at ACL Live to a nearly sold-out crowd of roughly 2,750, 75-year-old Weir showcased endless creativity, reimagining decades-old melodies with the band he formed in 2018. The Bay Area band, which released a compilation of live recordings last year, will head to Dallas before wrapping up their winter tour next week in Nashville.

As Deadheads poured into the venue in signature tie-dye, the audience stood entranced, “having a high time, living the good life,” nostalgic of the hippie era. 

Unlike most older artists, Weir did not muse about “the old days,” instead letting his music, including several 20-minute, made-for-the-stage renditions, do all the talking. With rugs at band members’ feet and an improvisational style, the performance exuded the vibrance of a private jam session fans lucked their way into. 

Weir shared the stage with drummer Jay Lane, keyboardist Jeff Chimenti and double bassist Don Was. Lane and Chimenti also provided backing vocals, offering serene harmonies that complemented Weir’s husky voice. Barry Sless joined the band on pedal steel guitar, adding a country-folk element to the mix. 

Still bringing new life to hits including “Terrapin Station” and “Touch of Grey,” Weir brought in The Wolfpack, a five-piece brass and string quintet, which soulfully embellished Grateful Dead classics and covers like the recognizable instrumental of The Champs’ “Tequila.” 

Weir and the band notably reinvent their entire setlist every show, adding “El Paso” for the Texan audience. He also included a song from another of his successful bands, Ratdog, as well as a cut from original Grateful Dead bandmate, the late Jerry Garcia. 

The Rock Hall of Famer could easily fill a venue by playing the same songs and arrangements, even three decades after the original band disbanded. But this performance offered something worth seeing — a testament to Weir’s lead guitar abilities and commitment to the craft. 

Striking light designs created a kaleidoscopic ambiance reminiscent of the Grateful Dead’s initial appeal and matched the music’s tone perfectly, though it did become a bit distracting. 

The show included a lengthy 40-minute intermission, but if anything, it ignited the musicians, as they impressively flowed from one song to the next with barely any pause during the second set. 

Weir’s inspiring performance proved that just like his music, “we will get by” and “we will survive.”