No badge, no problem: Free events at SXSW

Angela Lim, Life&Arts Editor

While thousands of attendees flock to Austin for South by Southwest, non-badge holders can still fill their itinerary with various exhibitions and showcases at the festival. The Daily Texan compiled a list of free events taking place during SXSW. 

The Future of Food – March 10-11, 1400 Lavaca St.

This two-day event at the SXSW Center hosts activities where attendees can try food made with innovative ingredients, view art installations and learn from panels discussing topics from nutrition to food accessibility.

Austin Industry Day at the Creative Industries Expo

March 15, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., 500 Cesar Chavez St.

The Austin Convention Center converges exhibitors across all fields from entertainment to health, showcasing an event with hundreds of brands and products to the public for the first time in the festival’s history. Within five pavilions and areas of interest, attendees have spaces to network and even participate in wellness workshops.

Flatstock 

March 15-17, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., 500 Cesar Chavez St.

Live music enthusiasts will find themselves in a room filled with vibrant concert posters and the artists behind them. Organized by the American Poster Institute, the exhibition aims to give poster artists a platform to present their craft.

Renegade Craft

March 16-18, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., 304 E Cesar Chavez St.

Renegade gathers more than 125 creative small businesses from across the nation. For three days, visitors can browse this market featuring works of jewelers, ceramists, clothing designers and other artists.

Waterloo Records Day Parties

March 14-17, 600 N Lamar Blvd.

A cornerstone of the Austin music community, Waterloo Records will bring in a total of 13 performers for its SXSW Day Parties open to all ages. Visit this iconic record store to catch shows from The Zombies and Circa Waves.

Community Concerts at Lady Bird Lake

March 16-18, 800 W Riverside Dr.

SXSW’s largest stage rightfully reaches a larger audience. Austin’s Lady Bird Lake and bustling skyline serve as the perfect backdrop to this festival’s outdoor event. Attendees can watch more than a dozen sets, including performances from Thao and AJ Smith.

Free Music Festival Showcases

March 14, 801 Red River St.

March 15-18, 702 E 10th St.

The city’s venues come alive and fully booked during SXSW. Sheraton BackYARD will present four free showcases with KUTX, EQ Austin, Austin Music Foundation and Latin Music Coalition Austin, while Stubb’s will host one with Diversity Awareness and Wellness in Action to highlight Black, Indigenous and people of color in the local music scene. Attendees can also catch a glimpse of other performances by walking through downtown Austin.